AMERICAN GAMEFOWL Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
My game pullet would fight with the other chickens when she had chicks with her. If one of my Ameraucanas even looked at her she would go after them. She’s mellowed out since weaning her chicks but no one messes with her.
This is a picture of her this summer with her chicks View attachment 1604940
All game hens will act that way with chicks or even when broody. What I’m saying is some hens are that aggressive 365 days a year.

What would you call a hen that will pen fight? Dominant? I’m not sure that’s correct.
What about a hen that’s penned by herself that will destroy herself kicking the wire when a very young stag is outside the wire?

I call them just plain bad to the bone. lol Some of them are just meaner than others for sure. I have some Game hens that have free ranged for years with the other free ranged birds without any major conflict. Go turn a hen out that's been in a pen for the past 6+ months and all heck will break loose. They definitely crave that top dog position just like the roosters do. It's in their blood. We have older hens we have to be careful to only put mature roosters with.. they will whip the snot out of stags. lol

My game pullet would fight with the other chickens when she had chicks with her. If one of my Ameraucanas even looked at her she would go after them. She’s mellowed out since weaning her chicks but no one messes with her.
This is a picture of her this summer with her chicks View attachment 1604940

Hens of most breeds will fight especially when introducing new birds or if the hen has chicks. It is simply a characteristic of games to refuse to quit. Game hens are fierce.

Very cute picture btw! She looks like she is a good mama. :)

Hens of most breeds will fight especially when introducing new birds or if the hen has chicks. It is simply a characteristic of games to refuse to quit. Game hens are fierce.

Very cute picture btw! She looks like she is a good mama. :)
Yeah she’s a great mom. Her daughters are now bigger than her :gig
96D9C5B3-9DD4-44AB-809E-F54F1F94329A.jpeg

Will really dominant hens allow a rooster to mate with them?
Usually they will grudgingly. It’s usually a war and the hen will take a constant beating. She will end up looking like hell too. It’s not worth keeping a hen like that with a rooster imo. In that case if you wanted to breed them it’s better to keep them separate and just move one into the others pen every few days or so. Once done mating just separate them again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom