American Gamefowl

What did they ever do to you, they're just babies. Hurts my feelings. 😭
CD7649AA-2943-4470-9E2D-2E1191B7BA86.gif

I have been culling for what sounds to be the same thing. I have no idea as to how it actually got introduced to my flock of young birds that had been moved outside, but it did. Could have been people’s shoes? Wild Birds? Maybe asymptomatic bird that showed no signs in quarantine I purchased from a feed-store? My orphaned niece and nephew are living with us now and they have zero concept of personal hygiene and the dos and don’ts of disease and parasite control... despite my husband and I trying hard to teach them basic hygiene and how not to spread diseases. Total failure of dead side of family to parent... on so many subjects, including the kids missing almost a whole school year... no homeschooling even. When they moved in they were 1 year behind their grade level. I know when it was discovered we had our first sick bird they had touched it and then went and handled lots of other healthy birds before getting me... grumble... I was not happy about that especially after all our discussions on how not to spread disease and parasites.

I only have one adult bird outside, my cranky 5 year old EE hen and she has never shown sign of illness ever. Fight injuries yes, illness no. She is deadly and can not be housed with roosters she attacks them. All our oldest matured cockerels she killed... at first we thought the laying breed boys got into it... nope we caught her attacking one day a cockerel she killed him before we could stop it. She is housed alone now. Dunghill EE hen most dangerous bird in the yard... go figure.

So far I have lost several Old English Game Fowl, Phoenix, Silkies, and Sultans. I finally decided to medicate the flock, not happy about it. I suspect I may loose all the Sultans. The Old English Game Fowl and Silkies seem to be responding to treatment. I will be lucky to save the one Phoenix still alive out there. The Oriental Game, Cornish X, Brahmans, Marans, Polish, various laying breeds like EEs, Sex Links and a few other one off specific multipurpose breeds, the D’Uccle, Oriental Game and the Ayam seem to be healthy though exposed... which is interesting.

I have birds in brooders inside my house that are 100% healthy and not exposed, but no way they can go outside till I get this problem dealt with.

I have been researching my options... but there is no way I want to expose my Black Swedish and Phoenix inside to this.

I may have some ideas based on research papers how to get rid of this out of the flock and preserve some breeding stock... but it’s pretty experimental but I got nothing to loose really by trying.

I am seriously ticked off I finally got the okay from hubby to have Game Fowl and keep some roosters... and this happens.

Dang Nabit

Back
Top Bottom