American Gamefowl

It seems that I have missed a lot while on my BYC break. I hope you all are well.
Sorry to hear that you are dealing with an illness in your flock Hillbilly. From the symptoms described it sounds like your birds have a respiratory infection. Poultry respiratory infections are spread by direct contact. This means that the respiratory infection was introduced to your chickens by a wild bird infecting your chickens, contaminated material coming in contact with your chickens (going to another poultry owner’s property and walking in their yard or chicken area and bringing back the disease or if a person with poultry comes to your property), by introducing an infected or carrier bird into the flock, or inadequate ventilation and coop cleaning which can compromise the chickens’ lungs. I’m not saying this is for sure how it happened, but these are the possibilities. Chickens with respiratory diseases can be asymptomatic for years, they may never show the symptoms until a stressful event happens. Introducing new chickens, high temperatures, rapid temperature changes, or a predator attack can all cause stress that can cause otherwise healthy chickens to suddenly show respiratory infection symptoms. Assume that all chickens have the infection even if they are not showing symptoms. Rigorous culling and breeding of only strong healthy birds will make the chickens immune to the infection. They will still be carriers of the disease and if stressed or if their immune system is weakened they can display the symptoms of the respiratory infection. I have found from personal experience that chicks hatched by a broody hen in an afflicted flock do not show the symptoms of the carrier birds even though these chicks are themselves carriers. They have been inoculated to the disease from a young age and have built up an immunity. Weak or failure to thrive chicks should be eliminated, they will have weak offspring. Again I’m so sorry to hear about this Hillbilly. I hope this helps you out.
-Cheers,
Brahma
I appreciate it. All the biddies have took off like the others. I will cull any bird that shows any sign from this day forward. I care for my birds because I want them to do good for me. If I have to cull everything and restart it will just have to be done. I aint had anymore with any signs

5C1146CC-4C0C-4F45-BB67-0A146042DB55.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom