American serama thread!

Hi,
My grandchildren and I want to raise Serama Chickens. We live in Jasper, Georgia and would like to purchase locally if possible. I believe I recently saw a post from someone who lives in Gainesville, Ga. and would appreciate the opportunity to speak with them. Also, if anyone in my area could please let me know how to go about purchasing Serama Chicks locally I would appreciate it greatly!

I've tried various local companies in the area without success. I know I can buy them on-line but would rather do business in my area.

Awesome! Good luck!
You might try your state thread (and any neighboring states if you are close to the border)
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/find-your-states-thread.270925/

Some of yall know I'm breeding seramas for show...
I have a 17 week (4months) old serama pullet. Her type seems pretty good so far, but something I've noticed is that she has a side sprig on her comb. I'm not sure about the point system for shows so if anyone knows how many points she might get docked for this at an in-cage show? Or is there a way to get rid of it with minimal pain to her?

Another question I have is about pinched tails. Are they recessive? I've just recently started breeding so I never really noticed their tails, but most of my birds have it..

♡♡

Some of yall know I'm breeding seramas for show...
I have a 17 week (4months) old serama pullet. Her type seems pretty good so far, but something I've noticed is that she has a side sprig on her comb. I'm not sure about the point system for shows so if anyone knows how many points she might get docked for this at an in-cage show? Or is there a way to get rid of it with minimal pain to her?

Another question I have is about pinched tails. Are they recessive? I've just recently started breeding so I never really noticed their tails, but most of my birds have it..

♡♡

Yours are white? I'm not sure how particular they are about combs, or how many deduction points it would be, but I always heard roosters with sprigs would likely be passed on to offspring. Not sure about hens with them. I would guess they will be more critical of sprigs in in-cage showings.
From the ASA website:
Female Comb: Single, small, set firmly and evenly on head, straight and upright, evenly serrated with five regular and distinct points, the middle points the same length as the width of the blade, moderately arched, blade should extend well over back of head.
https://americanseramaassociation.com/standards-1
Inverted comb is the only comb DQ, but you might find the point system somewhere on the site too.

Pinched tails are more easily improved with better mates. I still have a couple older hens with pinched tails, but with good roosters, I have seen them improve with each generation.

Yours are white? I'm not sure how particular they are about combs, or how many deduction points it would be, but I always heard roosters with sprigs would likely be passed on to offspring. Not sure about hens with them. I would guess they will be more critical of sprigs in in-cage showings.
From the ASA website:
Female Comb: Single, small, set firmly and evenly on head, straight and upright, evenly serrated with five regular and distinct points, the middle points the same length as the width of the blade, moderately arched, blade should extend well over back of head.
https://americanseramaassociation.com/standards-1
Inverted comb is the only comb DQ, but you might find the point system somewhere on the site too.

Pinched tails are more easily improved with better mates. I still have a couple older hens with pinched tails, but with good roosters, I have seen them improve with each generation.
This sounds awful and like something bad, but gamefowl are dubbed for show, do you think there would be a way to remove her sprig or should she just not be shown?..
Hm.. pinched taild might be my excuse to go and get a pair from Tim Hopkins:lol:

And no, mine are not white. They came from tabletop stock, but since there arent any table shows in my area I just show in cage. And right now I'm more focused on type,but if I came across a good black or white pair I would so get them.

♡♡

I really don’t know enough about showing, but if it’s just a 4H type show (not a sanctioned show) I’d probably take a chance and show her, just for the experience. It will depend on if the judges notice the sprig or if they know the standard well.
I know with any comb points that have been lost here, they heal quite well, so I assume you could trim/clip the sprig off. I don’t know how noticeable the spot would be or how long it would take to heal. My roosters that have had frostbite, the top of the comb looks really smooth, not bumpy like the rest of the comb. :confused:

I really don’t know enough about showing, but if it’s just a 4H type show (not a sanctioned show) I’d probably take a chance and show her, just for the experience. It will depend on if the judges notice the sprig or if they know the standard well.
I know with any comb points that have been lost here, they heal quite well, so I assume you could trim/clip the sprig off. I don’t know how noticeable the spot would be or how long it would take to heal. My roosters that have had frostbite, the top of the comb looks really smooth, not bumpy like the rest of the comb. :confused:
It is a fair, but they have a liscenced judge there.
For now I'll just wait and see how her comb looks, shes still young so it might not be as bad later.
:))

Here's my 3.5 wk old serama: (Click image to enlarge) Please excuse the dusty garage.

Is this another female??? I'm not seeing any wattles. Comb is not large - but not flat either. Wattles are very hard to spot - also pale- which is why I'm guessing female for now.

Here's my 7 wk old female silkied serama
IMG_9452.JPG
IMG_9453.JPG

Back
Top Bottom