American serama thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by miss heny, Oct 30, 2010.

1. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Quote:I'm jealous! My outside flock (about 40 hens) is giving me 4 eggs a day for 2 months now. They are all molting and/or revolting against the coming winter [​IMG] The Seramas are doing ok, I'm keeping up on orders and finally able to start hatching again for myself [​IMG]

Mine are just the opposite. Couldn't give away all the eggs I got this summer. Now those same people are screaming for eggs [​IMG] I agree with ACV for pasty butt. I never have it. I also use the avia charge in the chicks water.

2. 4cats3kids1hubby2many

4cats3kids1hubby2many Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    Omak
    Quote:
    ACV - apple cider vinegar Just a natural health supplement. Avia Charge was recommended to me about 3 years ago by several people on BYC. I use it on my outdoor flock of layers and for my Seramas. It is expensive but lasts a long time. All of my indoor birds also have lots of natural light through windows and lights on all their cages.

Oh, apple cider vinegar. I have a gallon jug of that. I was told to get the non-filtered kind. I got it at the local health food store. 1 Tbl/gallon water. Works great. This is a natural wormer (lite) isn't it also? I just know that it was good for them and it helps to keep slime out of waterers.

3. 4cats3kids1hubby2many

May 7, 2010
    Omak
    Quote:ACV - apple cider vinegar Just a natural health supplement. Avia Charge was recommended to me about 3 years ago by several people on BYC. I use it on my outdoor flock of layers and for my Seramas. It is expensive but lasts a long time. All of my indoor birds also have lots of natural light through windows and lights on all their cages.

She may have already answered this...but I use 1 tbl/gallon of water.
    Birds dont' seem to mind it either. I have used it many times.

4. 4cats3kids1hubby2many

May 7, 2010
    Omak
    Quote:
    Mine are just the opposite. Couldn't give away all the eggs I got this summer. Now those same people are screaming for eggs [​IMG] I agree with ACV for pasty butt. I never have it. I also use the avia charge in the chicks water.

Zoo: I guess you will have to contact me if you need to get rid of eggs...I will have to buy some from you this next year. I am getting in so crazy over my head. If I keep this up by the end of next summer I will have 100 birds (just in Seramas). This does not include the BR bitties and their group that are my layers and my Lav Orp project I am playing with. Oh...anyone know of a good breeder for black orps?

Anyway, I will be in the market for good birds/eggs after I get my set up all done next spring/summer. I think I will and shoot myself in the foot now....might bring me to my senses.

5. TownhouseSeramas

TownhouseSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    Quote:They are all very beautiful, I love their coloring.

6. KNAndrs

KNAndrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2011
    Superior, WI
    I am tired of having my 5 Seramas inside as we get into winter, they are starting to become real poop machines. They are 3 months old and I am ready to put them in the coop with the layers... Or build them their own coop...

The layer coop is heated to 50 degrees, has 7 hens. It is roughly 8x6.

Any thoughts? I really should have thought ahead.

Thanks,
    KEN

7. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Quote:Mine are just the opposite. Couldn't give away all the eggs I got this summer. Now those same people are screaming for eggs [​IMG] I agree with ACV for pasty butt. I never have it. I also use the avia charge in the chicks water.

Zoo: I guess you will have to contact me if you need to get rid of eggs...I will have to buy some from you this next year. I am getting in so crazy over my head. If I keep this up by the end of next summer I will have 100 birds (just in Seramas). This does not include the BR bitties and their group that are my layers and my Lav Orp project I am playing with. Oh...anyone know of a good breeder for black orps?

Anyway, I will be in the market for good birds/eggs after I get my set up all done next spring/summer. I think I will and shoot myself in the foot now....might bring me to my senses.

[​IMG] Sounds good. Right now on Serama eggs I am booked out through February so I'm guessing by February I will be taking summer orders! You know where to find me [​IMG]

8. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Quote:My seramas are outside and it has been down to 38 a couple of times. I am in North Florida so there isn't too much cold here but last winter it was below 20 a few nights. So far I haven't done anything about the cold. They are in an open air pen (no coop) and I have plastic covering one end. I got them from Grady Taylor who lives about 45 minutes from here. He has mentioned that he has to put his in a garage sometimes when it is too cold but I can't remember what temp he said. I will call him tomorrow to see how cold his tolerates and let you know what he says. I would think 50 would be balmy to them.
    I went ahead and called and he said if it gets close to freezing he takes them in at night and puts them back out in the morning. On the small ones (A's, B's and such or babies) he will put a light on them. He said 50 is plenty warm....doesn't like to keep them at any higher than that.
    sharon

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  9. KNAndrs

KNAndrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2011
    Superior, WI
    Quote:My seramas are outside and it has been down to 38 a couple of times. I am in North Florida so there isn't too much cold here but last winter it was below 20 a few nights. So far I haven't done anything about the cold. They are in an open air pen (no coop) and I have plastic covering one end. I got them from Grady Taylor who lives about 45 minutes from here. He has mentioned that he has to put his in a garage sometimes when it is too cold but I can't remember what temp he said. I will call him tomorrow to see how cold his tolerates and let you know what he says. I would think 50 would be balmy to them.
    I went ahead and called and he said if it gets close to freezing he takes them in at night and puts them back out in the morning. On the small ones (A's, B's and such or babies) he will put a light on them. He said 50 is plenty warm....doesn't like to keep them at any higher than that.
    sharon

Thanks for the heads up Sharon. I may incorporate them tonight and see how they do for a week or two. We are expecting 18 degrees for the low tonight and we will hit -60 a few times too this winter, but the ladies will hang out in their coop with the heater, I may see if it will drop into the 40s for temp control.

I will let you know how it goes.

KEN

10. pongo

pongo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    banning ca
    my serama have handles 28 no problem this last month. they are covered and i mix scratch in with the crumble to produce more heat....plus i have em paired so they can keep each other warm

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by