American serama thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by miss heny, Oct 30, 2010.

1. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    -60.....are you serious?! I had no idea it could get that cold! I would die. I complain when it is in the 30's here!
    Pongo- I have all 6 of mine together as well. It usually warms back up good during the day. I also have added a bit extra of cracked corn to their mix in the evening.

2. 4cats3kids1hubby2many

4cats3kids1hubby2many Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    Omak
    Quote:My seramas are outside and it has been down to 38 a couple of times. I am in North Florida so there isn't too much cold here but last winter it was below 20 a few nights. So far I haven't done anything about the cold. They are in an open air pen (no coop) and I have plastic covering one end. I got them from Grady Taylor who lives about 45 minutes from here. He has mentioned that he has to put his in a garage sometimes when it is too cold but I can't remember what temp he said. I will call him tomorrow to see how cold his tolerates and let you know what he says. I would think 50 would be balmy to them.
    I went ahead and called and he said if it gets close to freezing he takes them in at night and puts them back out in the morning. On the small ones (A's, B's and such or babies) he will put a light on them. He said 50 is plenty warm....doesn't like to keep them at any higher than that.
    sharon

My seramas are "housed" with 2 cochin banty hens. they are in an insulated coop with a heat lamp. I have a thermometer in the coop...has got down to 40 in there. The coop is insulated rather good. It has been down as low as 13 outside...tonight they are talking 8...I will be closing pop doors. My seramas refuse to go outside (3 inches of snow) even though they have a wind blocked snowless run...but there is snow at the end of the cover. As of right now they are doing rather well. I house the cochins with them for body heat.

3. SunValleySeramas

SunValleySeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2010
    ramona, california
    Quote:Glad that Lacy has a buddy while she is molting in the cold weather, I was worried about that!! 28 is pretty cold for a solo bird!! Like the new avatar switch Bill!!! Thanks Joey and all who commented about the birds!! sweater is Fabians love, he has one chick on the ground at Chailis house and two in my incubater at pongos house!! them fabians hen is sitting on 5 eggs from her and Sweater, soooo wishful thinging, that has been the only bird laying!!

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:My seramas are outside and it has been down to 38 a couple of times. I am in North Florida so there isn't too much cold here but last winter it was below 20 a few nights. So far I haven't done anything about the cold. They are in an open air pen (no coop) and I have plastic covering one end. I got them from Grady Taylor who lives about 45 minutes from here. He has mentioned that he has to put his in a garage sometimes when it is too cold but I can't remember what temp he said. I will call him tomorrow to see how cold his tolerates and let you know what he says. I would think 50 would be balmy to them.
    I went ahead and called and he said if it gets close to freezing he takes them in at night and puts them back out in the morning. On the small ones (A's, B's and such or babies) he will put a light on them. He said 50 is plenty warm....doesn't like to keep them at any higher than that.
    sharon

Mine are outside with no heat (except a small few) and temps have been down to 21 so far. They're doing fine, even the little silkied boy [​IMG]

50 degrees should be fine for 3 month olds.

5. 4cats3kids1hubby2many

May 7, 2010
    Omak
    sharon

Mine are outside with no heat (except a small few) and temps have been down to 21 so far. They're doing fine, even the little silkied boy [​IMG]

I am just too much of a softy. I worry about them getting cold....Like I said...they won't even go outside. The entire coop has some 20 birds in it...body heat alone would probably keep them good...but I don't want them stressing.

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Oh, I worried plenty when I had ice on waterers before it even got dark, but everyone is just fine, they don't act like they even noticed it [​IMG]

7. SunValleySeramas

SunValleySeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2010
    ramona, california
    NOt a softy at all, they are small little animals that rely on us for everything!! SO never say that you feel you are a softy!!

OK Here is a fun photo of a cockerel I Bred that appears to be looking at his scorecard

[​IMG]

Quote:Mine are outside with no heat (except a small few) and temps have been down to 21 so far. They're doing fine, even the little silkied boy [​IMG]

I am just too much of a softy. I worry about them getting cold....Like I said...they won't even go outside. The entire coop has some 20 birds in it...body heat alone would probably keep them good...but I don't want them stressing.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  8. 4cats3kids1hubby2many

May 7, 2010
    Omak
    Quote:I am just too much of a softy. I worry about them getting cold....Like I said...they won't even go outside. The entire coop has some 20 birds in it...body heat alone would probably keep them good...but I don't want them stressing.

LOL...Love the photo. He does look like he is saying "what did I get - what did I get?"

He is a pretty bird too. I hope he did well.

thanks for the words of encouragement.

9. pongo

pongo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    banning ca
    he lacy is in with my fawn laced hen....they get along very well and are both getting in the nest box at night..... she loves her hard boiled egg and wheat germ at a treat

10. marr77

marr77 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2011
    Menifee Ca
    My guys come and Sleep in the bathroom at night.
    Quote:Mine are outside with no heat (except a small few) and temps have been down to 21 so far. They're doing fine, even the little silkied boy [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by