American serama thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by miss heny, Oct 30, 2010.

1. TownhouseSeramas

TownhouseSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    Quote:I'm new too, but from what I've learned on here there isn't really any differences at all, except maybe the frizzels and silkies, I'm not sure how or where they orginated. I'm pretty sure all "American" Seramas are just descendants of Malyasian Seramas that Jerry brought over.

2. bigb-71

bigb-71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    Ceder ridge CA
    Malaysian Serama referring to the type consists of a breed similar to American Serama, but differs as a shorter-leg , longer-winged bird , witch is more of a combination of the ball and slim types .

3. TownhouseSeramas

Oct 24, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    Quote:Thanks Chaili, they do have faults in some area if you look at them closely. Below are couple pics of the type of malaysian serama I am aiming for, they were what attracted me to serama in the first place, not the extreme. I will point out the plus and minus in both of my birds for you and some of the malaysian serama main characteristics.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/34472_malaysia_serama.jpghttps://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/34472_71177_176281688927_3934308_n.jpg
    Main characteristics of Malaysian seramas
    1) short body
    2) S shape body type
    3) high large chest
    4) large fan tail
    5) small in size
    6) long legs

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/34472_jp1_09_18_11_018.jpg
    Aragorn has short body, large fan tail, tight feathers, long legs and large chest.....but lack of an S shape where his neck & chest are to make his chest look higher, comb & wattles are a bit large and also a tad long in the back.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/34472_jp1_11_16_11_003.jpg
    Arwen has an S shape body, small comb & wattles, high large chest, short back, small frame (she is an A class).....she lacks large fan tail, short body, needs longer legs.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/34472_jp1_07_03_11_003.jpg
    This picture show you what an S shape body look like. The cockerel is Arwen's full brother Little B, both have the same body type.

It took me almost the whole weekend to make my decision, they should complement each others faults and produce some good offsprings for me to use in my Malaysian serama and/or American serama projects. I am hoping she will lay well for me, her first time was on and off. [​IMG]

I like Johnny too......personally, I would like to at least test mate or mate each of my bird before I send them packing. Are you sure you want to hold on to them until yr old??? I know you, you will be too attach to them and you won't send them packing. [​IMG] [​IMG]

That just looks like it hurts standing that straight. (first Picture) They are all very pretty.

4. TownhouseSeramas

Oct 24, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    Quote:Ah okay, so there are actually differences in the way they look. Didn't know that.

5. Ivywoods

Ivywoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Hiawatha, KS
    Ball..........Slim..........American..........Malaysian..........Thousands of color variations..........I have SOOOOOOO much to learn![​IMG]

6. bigb-71

Feb 17, 2011
    Ceder ridge CA
    Malaysian [​IMG] American [​IMG] can you see the defference

7. froggiesheins

froggiesheins Overrun With Chickens

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    YEAH, I see the difference, the second bird rides a Harley.......[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Quote:

8. froggiesheins

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    Oh boy, he will be a shoe-in for the serama breed.. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] ..I thought all light colored legged roos have the red stripe????
    Quote:

9. bigb-71

Feb 17, 2011
    Ceder ridge CA
    Just take your time there is a ton of stuff to learn about these little guys its taken me three years to get where i am and alot of just listening to others who are in the breed and alot of reading you will get it all in time good luck and have a great thanksgivening ! [​IMG]
    Quote:

10. froggiesheins

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    OH MY, I am so glad they are OK and that YOU did not have a heart attack over it......I would have been hysterical...... [​IMG]
    Boy, an acre of land/ one itty-bitty serama---talk about looking for a needle in a haystack..... you done good! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Quote:

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by