American serama thread!

These chicks are two weeks old and their wings appear longer than their bodies...is that normal?

Last edited:
These chicks are two weeks old and their wings appear longer than their bodies...is that normal?
The wings will touch behind them when they're young. They're like children in that different parts grow at different rates. Hopefully they won't stay like that.

A few pages back, people were asking about providing water for chicks. Here's how I do it. Cut the top of a big shampoo bottle, and cut a small hole i the bottom on the side. Thread a soda bottle waterer into the hole, flip the unit upside down, and fir it with a full bottle of water. It sits on the floor without falling over, no marbles needed, everybody has easy acess, and it's easy to clean the shavings out of it with a couple of sloshy flips onto the floor.

Here's who's using it right now; a wheaten, a black, some whites, and some mottled-type pullets that are too white already.

Very neat idea!
Mine start with a hamster water bottle then move up to a rabbit water bottle. The largest rabbit water bottle I have is a half gallon.

The tiny chicks do great with the hamster water bottle. I poked a hole in the side of a tin container that had these delicious cookies in them (I know, sacrifice sacrifice) I put some heavy rocks in the bottom so it would be stable if a larger chick jumped against it. Then I stuffed plastic grocery bags in an seated the bottle in it with the tip through the hole. I have one that I put 3 holes at different heights so I can use it for the tiniest then move it up to the taller holes as they grow. I's very clean water, the whole thing gets dusty but a quick rinse works fine. They find it in seconds even as day old chicks. There is sometimes a small drop that will dangle at the tip and the chicks go wild for it.

I change the water daily, even if they don't drink it all but as they get older, they drink more and can finish off the bottle in a day and it's so funny to hear them popping that metal ball in the tip like "hey get in here and fill this thing!" The rabbit water bottles have a much heavier ball in the tip so the tiny ones need this smaller size to be able to bump the ball for a drink.

Yes, they do that like catwalk said. They may be 6 months old before they really start looking proportional then wow! They can look fantastic suddenly. That's why many breeders don't sell till they're past 6 months. That's a lot of time and commitment to assure you're getting quality when you buy so those are usually more expensive. Somethings can be culled for at a younger age but type may not fully develop till they are nearing maturity at 6 mo to a year

Nice little wheaten pullet there!
I have a pretty little wheaten pullet that hatched a week ago too

What age do they get full size and weight? How many ounces does a micro weight at full growth?
Micros are full grown cocks up to 13 oz and up to 8oz for hens. Serama grow up until a year or so and males continue to get bigger chested until about 18 months of age.

hi everyone i have a quick question. Do these seramas look like they have creeper legs

I think he might but when he and her stand proud the wings come away from the ground thanks for any help on this

Back
Top Bottom