American serama thread!

Okay. This is really off subject, but I live in northeat MO. I've wanted to start raising seramas, I don't know anyone in my area who has them. I tried shipped eggs and not a single egg hatched. I have another batch in in the bator right now, but if there was anyone in my area with chicks or even adults I think I would have a lot more success. I was hoping someone here might be able to point me in the right direction.

Okay. This is really off subject, but I live in northeat MO. I've wanted to start raising seramas, I don't know anyone in my area who has them. I tried shipped eggs and not a single egg hatched. I have another batch in in the bator right now, but if there was anyone in my area with chicks or even adults I think I would have a lot more success. I was hoping someone here might be able to point me in the right direction.
I would get shipped eggs again from a different person and make sure there breed with a cock not a cockral that would make a huge difference :)

You know I had REALLY horrible hatches from shipped eggs my first 5 times! I had over a dozen eggs every time and out of 5 orders, only 2 chicks hatched.
I ordered another dozen a few weeks ago (shipment number 6), got a few extras in the order, and this time I hatched 9!!!!! I think it is REALLY just luck of the draw from the horrible shipping conditions. You might just have to keep trying. However, this can end up costing as much as just buying an adult breeding pair.
Just my 2cents =)

Here are some of my "Crossbreeds":

Leonardo, Upright posture and tail carriage, admittedly he could use a fuller breast and be more upright, but that will come as he matures. He has already started to look better in the 3 weeks I've had him. He is 12 weeks old now I think.

Wyatt, He was about to crow in this picture, which gave him an awkward pose. He is about 6oz. above a C class bird, but he throws the A and B class babies, plus by his type you can tell he is pure.

Xander, He wouldn't stand still for me, but he has a nice upright stance and is a real poser. He is the same size as Wyatt, but also throws small babies.

And a Group shot of the Babies!
Thanks for the cute pictures! Onafixedincome knows how to pull those photos out of people, LOL
New buds for the lone Serama chick, grabbed a couple Silkies. They are the same age. The Buff Rock is a week older, but a LOT bigger
lau.gif

I love size differences! So adorable!
Er.... I was gonna say what kuku said, LOL
You know I had REALLY horrible hatches from shipped eggs my first 5 times! I had over a dozen eggs every time and out of 5 orders, only 2 chicks hatched.
I ordered another dozen a few weeks ago (shipment number 6), got a few extras in the order, and this time I hatched 9!!!!! I think it is REALLY just luck of the draw from the horrible shipping conditions. You might just have to keep trying. However, this can end up costing as much as just buying an adult breeding pair.
Just my 2cents =)
Yah, just keep trying and get them from someone as close as possible, but in Missouri, you are really quite central. You should be able to find a lot of good breeders around! But none of that guarantees a good hatch, it depends on how stressful their trip was. Serama eggs don't take to travel well :( Like kuku, I hatched several batches.

Okay. This is really off subject, but I live in northeat MO. I've wanted to start raising seramas, I don't know anyone in my area who has them. I tried shipped eggs and not a single egg hatched. I have another batch in in the bator right now, but if there was anyone in my area with chicks or even adults I think I would have a lot more success. I was hoping someone here might be able to point me in the right direction
I'm in northwest MO. A little far, but if you ever come this way let me know. Otherwise, I'd try here- https://www.facebook.com/showmeamericanserama.club.7?fref=ts And if you can make it to poultry shows in your area that would also be a good place to find them too.

I would love to have some seramas next year, but im worried that they wouldn't do well. I live near st Louis and we have hot summers and cold winters. I don't have power in the coop, and thus cant use a heater or lamp... any ideas?

I hatched four chicks out of Rooder and his hens....two roosters and two hens...they are now 5 months old and I have a pair and my girlfriend has the other pair....both pair are very beautiful and different...My GF's pair is laying and her hen is now sitting on 9 perfect eggs...I am a little jealous as my hen has yet to lay an egg. She named her pair Marty and Mitzy.....Mitzy started setting on the eggs today....so in 21 days we should have seramas chicks...here are some pics of Marty and Mitzy.

I hatched four chicks out of Rooder and his hens....two roosters and two hens...they are now 5 months old and I have a pair and my girlfriend has the other pair....both pair are very beautiful and different...My GF's pair is laying and her hen is now sitting on 9 perfect eggs...I am a little jealous as my hen has yet to lay an egg. She named her pair Marty and Mitzy.....Mitzy started setting on the eggs today....so in 21 days we should have seramas chicks...here are some pics of Marty and Mitzy.

Gorgeous birds!! I love the colors <3

Back
Top Bottom