American serama thread!

Hi. MY NAME IS Laura. I am brand new to chickens and not to familiar with breeds. We got this adorable little guy this weekend and I think he is Serama. Could anyone.verify for me? He is very tiny. This coop in this picture was originally a dog house to give you an idea of scale.

I really love Seramas! I'm only "chicken dreaming" right now - imagining the breeds I will get when I can have a nice yard and coops and spacious runs!

I wonder, where does everyone get their Seramas? I'd love to be able to keep track of some places who supply Serama in various parts of the US for future reference. We're not sure where we will end up - wherever jobs in my fiance's profession takes him, but we are aiming for the South! They seem like great chickens to have as pets. :)
ebay. Get yours from a different source if possible. I did end up with a few nice birds, but many were not serama at all.

I've heard Serama eggs are hard to hatch, even more so if you get them shipped, is that true?

Also, with Serama, can you somewhat tell what color the chicks might grow into when they get bigger? For instance, I'd really love to get one of those red and black Serama roosters. Would the chicks hatch out dark or do they all look more or less the same?

I've heard Serama eggs are hard to hatch, even more so if you get them shipped, is that true?

Also, with Serama, can you somewhat tell what color the chicks might grow into when they get bigger? For instance, I'd really love to get one of those red and black Serama roosters. Would the chicks hatch out dark or do they all look more or less the same?

Shipped serama eggs are hard to hatch. But, if the shipper packs them well they tend to come in good shape. The chicks hatch out a color and in my experience they feather on completely different.

Candles my serama eggs and all 5 are going good. Day 7 aircells are right on track!

I've heard Serama eggs are hard to hatch, even more so if you get them shipped, is that true? Of 20 shipped serama eggs, 11 hatched.

Also, with Serama, can you somewhat tell what color the chicks might grow into when they get bigger? For instance, I'd really love to get one of those red and black Serama roosters. Would the chicks hatch out dark This rooster was striped down the back as a chick.

or do they all look more or less the same? The chicks come in many colors.

Last edited:

Thank you for the info! What a gorgeous rooster! That's exactly the color type I would want. I'm a huge fan of the bright colored chickens :)

So I guess I'd have to go mostly by what the parents look like...

If possible I would not do shipped serama eggs for your first time hatching
Thank you for the info! What a gorgeous rooster! That's exactly the color type I would want. I'm a huge fan of the bright colored chickens
smile.png

So I guess I'd have to go mostly by what the parents look like...

Even that would not work, Seramas do not breed true to color, So the only way you could get that color is to hatch alot and maybe never get that color, and then you could also buy adult birds of that color

Even that would not work, Seramas do not breed true to color, So the only way you could get that color is to hatch alot and maybe never get that color, and then you could also buy adult birds of that color

My flock is getting to the stage where more than half the offspring now look like their Silver & Blue parents.
I do hope though that the surprises never stop coming.

Back
Top Bottom