American serama thread!

img_6702-jpg.1765048

Here's one of my smallest serama chicks next to a Leghorn chick. The serama's about the size of a quail. It doesn't seem as healthy/active as the rest, so I've been taking it out a few times a day for a little extra feed time. This morning, it's got pasty butt. Aside from the cleaning & TLC, is there something to add to the food to help this one out?
I was told ACV in drinking water. It does seem to help. When my littlest littles were doing poorly I gave them crumbled boiled egg yolk. I also found a recipe somewhere here consisting of 2 parts chick starter, 1part corn meal, 1 part oatmeal and 1 part mealworms. Grind all together. My personal experience tells you to grind oatmeal first alone, add starter and mealworms and grind again then stir in cornmeal since it is already ground. I put parakeet grit in with this.

I got 6 serama chicks in the mail yesterday. 1 died yesterday, never ate or drank. I fed crumbled egg yolks yesterday and now everyone has pasty yellow poop stuck on there bottoms (one has some on her head). They have electrolytes and probiotics in water. Other than wiping their little butts, anything else I can do?

You can also either trim some of the butt feathers, or I usually mat them down with a little Vaseline.

I usually keep cleaning their butts and feeding them regular chick feed. Sometimes I mix in the little brown seeds (milo?) that's in scratch to harden their waste up.

Hmm, sounds like a decent idea!

Can I resist the temptation????

Um.... I'm going to bet on NO! :lol:

I lost a teeny tiny chick yesterday. One of my hens hatched 2 last week, they seemed to be doing fine. Yesterday I found the chipmunk one on its back in the dirt. Wasn't dead, so I stuck it in a Vienna weenie can on a napkin, after giving it a few drips of water. I held it for a while, and also put it under a heat lamp for a while. By night time, it was much perkier, so I took it back to the momma hen. Found it dead this morning. I'm hoping the black one survives, its quite tiny too, and not looking great for a week old.

IMG_4146.JPG
IMG_4233.JPG
IMG_4243.JPG

Then on top of that, the momma hen was fighting with another hen, never seen such a fight between hens! They had even been nesting together, so I guess the other one decided she would just take the chicks. Not!! Momma is younger, and looks like she won! I separated momma and the chicks, but the older hen ended up with a horrible bloody comb.
IMG_4211.JPG

You can also either trim some of the butt feathers, or I usually mat them down with a little Vaseline.

I cleaned it well when I 1st noticed it and had to do it a 2nd time. It has not returned in over 48 hrs. The chick is small but seems more perky now. I've been pulling it out a couple times a day to have some alone time with some water soaked feed. It's not out of the woods yet, but improving. It'so tiny. Here are some pics next to another serama chick from the same hatch. (excuse the messy beaks)

It may be my 1st silkied serama.
IMG_6715.JPG IMG_6712.JPG IMG_6713.JPG
IMG_6710.JPG

You're right I could not resist setting some more eggs. They are incubating now but will not hatch until AFTER our daughter's graduation.

I cleaned it well when I 1st noticed it and had to do it a 2nd time. It has not returned in over 48 hrs. The chick is small but seems more perky now. I've been pulling it out a couple times a day to have some alone time with some water soaked feed. It's not out of the woods yet, but improving. It'so tiny. Here are some pics next to another serama chick from the same hatch. (excuse the messy beaks)

It may be my 1st silkied serama.
View attachment 1767970 View attachment 1767972 View attachment 1767973
View attachment 1767971

You're right I could not resist setting some more eggs. They are incubating now but will not hatch until AFTER our daughter's graduation.

Pretty babies!

And it sure didn’t take you long to set more eggs. :gig

I got home and went to check the black chick and found it strangled in mommas feathers. I’ve had this happen with bantam cochins a few times, with their leg feathers, it happens pretty easily, but hadn’t had it happen with a serama until today. :( it was still dangling from her, I had to pluck it out of her.
6326FEBA-0138-4D85-B713-E24448F5841F.jpeg 751E3967-72D6-4990-A06B-50940D1FFB41.jpeg

:hugs
Oh no! I'm so sorry for your loss. What a horrible way to lose them! Perhaps that's what happened to the other.

I also had the same situation with a silkie broody & my bantam orp broody. Thankfully we heard such screaming/peeping & ran down to check before death occurred. I cut away some fluff from my silkie & the orp was pretty bad. (poopy butt from sitting in the nest so long) The chicks got a heating pad, while the mama orp got a backside bath.

My teeny tiny serama appears to have silkied feathers. It's so small. It will soon be 2 weeks old. To help it along, I remove it from the brooder a couple times a day to allow it to have some quality time at the feeder. The other two seramas are small but feisty, so I'm not worried about them. The tiny one is about the size of a quail. The chicks are all together with my best broody hen, Cookie. I was thinking about separating it, but it seems to be attached to Mama Cookie

To get an idea of size.... Here is the chick next to a (silver blue laced) orpington hatched on the same day. They're eating some soaked feed. (i find eating with a buddy always increases an animal's desire to eat. LOL) Because this chick is still alive, I'm cautiously optimistic it will survive.

Does anyone else have seramas this size? If yes, any tips? Any pics?
IMG_6784.JPG
IMG_6786.JPG

IMG_6726.JPG

My teeny tiny serama appears to have silkied feathers. It's so small. It will soon be 2 weeks old. To help it along, I remove it from the brooder a couple times a day to allow it to have some quality time at the feeder. The other two seramas are small but feisty, so I'm not worried about them. The tiny one is about the size of a quail. The chicks are all together with my best broody hen, Cookie. I was thinking about separating it, but it seems to be attached to Mama Cookie

To get an idea of size.... Here is the chick next to a (silver blue laced) orpington hatched on the same day. They're eating some soaked feed. (i find eating with a buddy always increases an animal's desire to eat. LOL) Because this chick is still alive, I'm cautiously optimistic it will survive.

Does anyone else have seramas this size? If yes, any tips? Any pics?
View attachment 1773877 View attachment 1773880
View attachment 1773922
I do not think that’s a silkies serama. Ironically, I had one hatch on march 19 that was identical. And SUPER tiny. WAYYYY SMALLER than the rest. I was worried about chick starter being wayto big for him. He also seemed silkied. Same color too. He turned out smooth. And seemed REALLY silkied the first three weeks. He also hit a growth spurt and is now the biggest one I have. He got a lot of hard boiled egg minced.

Back
Top Bottom