American serama thread!

I hear you, I am trying to do the same.

But there's nothing wrong with asking a reasonable amount of money for a pet bird. Heck, I would pay $20.00 for a nice layer hen. Or even a mutt rooster for $10 if I needed one. I'd buy a pretty Ameracauna for $30-$40, not to show it, just to have it. I think you see where I'm going with this. Just because its not show quality doesn't make it entirely worthless. Plus if somebody pays $20-$30 bucks for something, they have something invested in the animal, and may be more likely to take care of it, instead of BBQ it.
wink.png

your right chaili it's not how much you spend on getting your birds. It's who you know ...

Thanks I will give it a try.
I've been reasonably lucky with my chicks that hatch. I don't usually have very many at a time, so between me and my daughters, somebody is always keeping an eye on them. I might raise the heat a bit, around 95 for the first week, and 90-95 for the second week. That might also help with pasty. Supposedly sand helps, but then they get the sand in their eyes. I use the Sav A Chick for the first week, and then at intervals after that.

Try putting marbles in the water dish, that way they can't fall in and drown.

Cornstarch? Interesting. Well I will try it all.
I lose a lot of seramas also if they are from pullet hens. I think when the eggs are so small then I chicks are just too small to make it. I think I will wait until their eggs are bigger and try again, it is too depressing losing all the tiny ones. On the poopy rears, I do use play sand in the brooders and I use save a chick in their water and also grind their started in a blender, I do mix grounded up scratch corn in with their starter, it helps a lot. The tiny ones gets poop rears some, but not as often.

sorry for your lost ... I hate it when I hear people lose these little guy .. I dont hatch my chicks in incubator . I use pigeons or a broody .. They come out stronger ... dont know why but they just do .

I hear you, I am trying to do the same.

But there's nothing wrong with asking a reasonable amount of money for a pet bird. Heck, I would pay $20.00 for a nice layer hen. Or even a mutt rooster for $10 if I needed one. I'd buy a pretty Ameracauna for $30-$40, not to show it, just to have it. I think you see where I'm going with this. Just because its not show quality doesn't make it entirely worthless. Plus if somebody pays $20-$30 bucks for something, they have something invested in the animal, and may be more likely to take care of it, instead of BBQ it.
wink.png

x2. I never give away culls. I make everyone pay something because I want them to have ownership.

Back
Top Bottom