American Sussex Association

During these struggling times, some breed clubs are facing losses of memberships because members have to make choices whether or not to pay this years membership or loss of interest. Gas prices and showing our birds takes a toll too.

That is why our club remainded FREE for a couple of years and this year, we had a huge jump of members because they wanted something for free and everyone contribute, swapping information and BYC is an added bonus to have members joining us as well as educate people both in HERE and the clubs. Many of our members originally came from BYC or Google search or the word of mouth. Now one our member wants to start charging membership to get incicentives to get people to show their Welsummers and pay for the trophies and what's not. We would vote on it but we had a month to vote on it. Granted, it was a good idea but with only seven people voting for it out of 102 members, its a very poor outlook for charging membership. We might end up suspending the plan of charging membership and asking for donations for trophies and such things for the breed. Or no membership fees at all until the economy improves. No need to drive our members away when they are already financially strapped. The LEAST we could do is to list their farm names under the Breeder's listings and give them a bit of money. Even the breed is getting popular, we will find the RIGHT time to get it going for the membership fees.

With internet, emails, and using FREE websites, and a bit of my time, I would like to pass on the savings to my members as well. If majority voted on having shows and so forth, then we will bring it up on the next quarterly e-Newsletter and blast emails to our members for their inputs, comments and so forth.

If BYC decide to charge members or any lurkers to pay to gain access to BYC, you bet people will go elsewhere!

If the American Sussex Association wants to charge their members, they have every right to do so. If you don't like it, you can find another club with membership you are looking for and which one would give you the most in returns as a member. Some clubs would do an associate member which they do not have voting rights or can not be listed in the breeder's list, etc. than a paying member would have.

Last edited:
We have been awarding certificates to Best and Reserve at the shows with AOPF and ETF meets. I email the certificates to the show secretary or club rep/district director. Its not as nice as a trophy, but gives them something.

Currently we have Orpingtons, Wyandotte Bantams, Chanteclers, turkeys, Muscovy Ducks and some Sussex eggs enroute (from a swap). At $10 a shot average that would cost us $60+ a year. Add ABA and SPPA membership and we are talking about over $100 in club membership fees. Thankfully I sent $100 to the APA in 1991 and became an Endowment Trust Lifetime Member. A very good investment some 21 years ago.

Many of us have opted to stay with the "parent" clubs and save money for feed.

During these struggling times, some breed clubs are facing losses of memberships because members have to make choices whether or not to pay this years membership or loss of interest. Gas prices and showing our birds takes a toll too.

That is why our club remainded FREE for a couple of years and this year, we had a huge jump of members because they wanted something for free and everyone contribute, swapping information and BYC is an added bonus to have members joining us as well as educate people both in HERE and the clubs. Many of our members originally came from BYC or Google search or the word of mouth. Now one our member wants to start charging membership to get incicentives to get people to show their Welsummers and pay for the trophies and what's not. We would vote on it but we had a month to vote on it. Granted, it was a good idea but with only seven people voting for it out of 102 members, its a very poor outlook for charging membership. We might end up suspending the plan of charging membership and asking for donations for trophies and such things for the breed. Or no membership fees at all until the economy improves. No need to drive our members away when they are already financially strapped. The LEAST we could do is to list their farm names under the Breeder's listings and give them a bit of money. Even the breed is getting popular, we will find the RIGHT time to get it going for the membership fees.

With internet, emails, and using FREE websites, and a bit of my time, I would like to pass on the savings to my members as well. If majority voted on having shows and so forth, then we will bring it up on the next quarterly e-Newsletter and blast emails to our members for their inputs, comments and so forth.

If BYC decide to charge members or any lurkers to pay to gain access to BYC, you bet people will go elsewhere!

If the American Sussex Association wants to charge their members, they have every right to do so. If you don't like it, you can find another club with membership you are looking for and which one would give you the most in returns as a member. Some clubs would do an associate member which they do not have voting rights or can not be listed in the breeder's list, etc. than a paying member would have.
What you have said about your other club sounds like a really great start. I'm asking questions about what the benefits are because to me they are not clear on the web-site and the information is different on different pages, ie. one page tells me $10 will get me what the other page says $15 will get. Before I plunk my money down on anything I want to know what are the facts about the group, and what my money is going to buy. If I receive nothing then why would I pay? I have not received a response yet on here from my original questions and I'm not sure how to contact someone from the web-site. Constructive answers, not harping at me, will be gladly accepted.

Oh you mean something like what $10 will buy me?

It would buy you a year's worth of membership, paper newsletter, online meetings, access to the breed club, your farm's name on the listings, and voting rights. And all the perks that goes with it.

Not easy to run a club but we are learning to find out what works and what does not work. Trial and errors!

Poultry world annual and year book. no.12 1922.
Dorkings Past and Present
By Joseph Pettipher
http://tinyurl.com/njtemhk
Index of aticles and illustrations.
http://tinyurl.com/oop66rx
There are some really nice pics of Dorkings in this yearbook.
=======================================================
Poultry world annual and year book. no.6 1913-14.
http://tinyurl.com/pvtprta
Red Dorkings, by Jos. Pettipher Article) Page 52
Illustrations:
Dorkings, Dark, Cockerel 116, 123
Silver-Grey, Hen 135
Red Sussex, by J. Ade (article) Page 55
(Ade was noted breeder of Red Sussex who deveoped and
perfected the Brown Sussex from the Red Sussex)
Illustrations:
Sussex, Light, Cockerel Page 131
Red, Cockerel Page 56
Speckled, Hen Page Page 113
Speckled, Cockerel Page 133
=======================

==============================
The Feathered world year book and poultry keepers' ... 1910.
http://tinyurl.com/okv48px
Dorkings 64-68
ILLUSTRATIONS.
Dorking, Silver-Grey, Cockerel 65
Dorking, Coloured, Cockerel ... 67
Sussex By F. V. Gravely... 137-140
ILLUSTRATIONS.
Sussex, Light Cockerel ... 139
==================================
The Feathered world year book and poultry keepers' ... 1911.
http://tinyurl.com/ntra2rq
Dorkings in 1910 By C. E. Richardson. , 123-124
The Red Dorkings By R. B. Fitch Hogg. 124-125
About White Dorkings By Joseph Pettipher. 125-127
ILLUSTRATIONS.
Dorking, Silver Grey Cockerel 123
Dorking, White 127
Sussex By F. V. Gravely. 189-191
ILLUSTRATIONS.
Sussex, Light Pullet 189
Sussex, Speckled Cockerel 190
==========================================
The Feathered world year book and poultry keepers' ... 1912.
http://tinyurl.com/qbawfc6
Dorkings . By Clem Watson . 127
ILLUSTRATIONS
Dorking, Silver Grey Cockerel.. 127
Sussex By Clem Watson . 202
ILLUSTRATIONS
Sussex, Light Pullet 203
Sussex, Speckled Pullet 205
Sussex, Red Cockerel 204
==========================================
The Feathered World Year Book and Poultry Keepers' ... 1913.
Sussex By J. B. Bunney . 241
ILLUSTRATIONS
Sussex, Speckled Pullet 242
Sussex, Bed Cockerel 243
Sussex, Light Cookerel 244
====================================
The Feathered world year book and poultry keepers' ... 1914.
http://tinyurl.com/oqptzj3
Dorkings By Clem Watson . 152
ILLUSTRATIONS
Dorking, Dark Cock 158
Sussex By E. T. B. Coppard . 272
ILLUSTRATIONS
Sussex, Brown Cockerel 274
Sussex, Light Cockerel 275
Sussex, Speckled Cock 273
========================================
The Feathered World Year Book and Poultry Keepers' ... 1915.
http://tinyurl.com/qhkrkao
Sussex By E. T. B. Coppard . 226,
SUSSEX NOTES. By Clem Watson . 230
ILLUSTRATIONS
Sussex, Red Pair 227
Sussex, Light Cockerel 232
Sussex, Light 229
Sussex, Speckled 231
Dorkings and Sussex in America.
By F. L. Platt, Swanton, Ohio, U.S.A. 230
================================
The Feathered World Year Book and Poultry Keepers' ... 1917.
http://tinyurl.com/p7wrxqr
Sussex . By Clem Watson .164
ILLUSTRATIONS
Sussex, Light Cook 167
Sussex, Speckled 165
=================================
I just have to share this. Been looking for it for over a year.
wee.gif

Why am I so excited? Clem Watson was one of the 3 great
Secretaries of the UK Sussex Poultry Club. ( other 2 were
Leo Outram and Sharpe). He was extremely learned on the breed.
Yet, his writings are very rare and hard to find. What a rare treat!!

The Feathered World Year Book and Poultry Keepers' ... 1921.
http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uc1.b2979304;view=1up;seq=202
Pages 202 thru 209
The Sussex
By Clem Watson.
==============================
The Feathered World Year Book and Poultry Keepers' ... 1915 .
http://tinyurl.com/p6mkeh8
Page 94
Sussex Ground Oats .—This is the name given to a mixture composed of
eight sacks of oats (Russian white oats generally) to one of barley, ground to a
very fine consistency by means of specially-dressed millstones. The one sack
of barley is added because of the dry nature of that grain as compared with
oats, which are oily, to assist in the process of grinding. It is a grand food
for all stock whether adult or quite young. It is used more than any other
meal for fattening purposes. No meal or known food fattens fowls so well as
Sussex ground oats, or produces, when used mixed with mutton fat and soured
skimmed milk, such white juicy flesh. This is a great desideratum in a fatted
fowl. It is true that maize contains more fats and oils, but then it produces
a yellow, greasy fat( The specially dressed stones, as near as I can figure.
are cardamom (sp?) stones. They grind the hull up as fine as the rest of the oat.
The Sussex ground oats seems to be about the consistency of pastry four?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For those of you who love to hunt old lit, here's a great little bibliography of poultry lit.
The type is so small on this book, I think it is best read in "plain text" mode. Note this was published in 1954.

http://tinyurl.com/kmmt6fu
22 pages of bibliography including, " A SELECTION OF
OLD POULTRY BOOKS, ENGLISH AND AMERICAN
With A CHRONOLOGY OF SIGNIFICANT DATES
IN POULTRY HISTORY"

And ; 4 pages of " A DIGEST OF R. C. PUNNETT'S
"NOTES ON OLD POULTRY BOOKS (London, 1930)
"

Last edited:
Hi,
Well I'm a happy camper!
wee.gif
My broody hen, March, has a daughter hatched Feb. 23rd
who started laying 3 days ago. That's 6 1/2 months. A bit early for Sussex so that's a good thing.
The eggs look good, nice size and good shell. That's March as a 10 month old pullet in my avatar.
She is 18 months old now. My birds are Walt Boese pure English strain Light Sussex.
celebrate.gif

Karen in western PA, USA

Last edited:
I'm having a hard time finding cinnamon sussex. Have they died out? When I've googled it, there seems to be one main person who "used to?" raise them but it seems like everything that I click on is older. Are they even still around??? And when doing my research, I heard that they're a cross between coronation sussex and rhode island reds. Is this true?

Well, at any rate, if anyone has any cinnamons or lavenders, please PM me. I might be interested.

Quote: They are around. Try Walt Boese in Deer Lodge, Montana. I think he mentioned he had got some Cinnamons last time we talked. On the Net : Walt Black Powder and Archery .
Best,
Karen

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom