Americana's

krazycow6

Songster
10 Years
May 26, 2009
Zephyrhills, FL
So really, just how rare is this breed. I know that EE's are everywhere but how many people really have the true blooded Americana's. I currently have a white and a wheaten, both of which are hens. I am thinking about getting into breeding and was thinking about one of the Americana lines. Some of my questions are:
What color Americana is the most rare?
What truly separates an Americana from an EE?
Should egg color remain the same through a breeding flock, or can it vary?

1. It's spelled Ameraucana.
2. You might want to get a standard of perfection to help you decipher between the EE and Ameraucana.
3. There is a sticky at the top of this forum...I'll try and find it that shows the differences.

Here is a link to look at
http://www.ameraucana.org/
There are so many differences between them I don't dare to try to list them.We have both here.
As for the most rare...a rare color that is a low quality isn't nearly as good as a high quality more readily available(no Ameraucana is readily available but some are easier to find than others) if your going to go for the more rare colors to improve them you really need to know what you have where your going and how to get there..it just doesn't happen.Then when you have that plan and still have questions you ask Jean
hugs.gif

Quote:
For good quality, egg color should remain the same, and a good blue hue. What color of Ameraucana is the most rare? Brown-Red and Silver. What seperates them? There are a lot of threads that help with that.
smile.png

One rule of thumb is that if it is from a hatchery or feedstore, it is an EE. Another is if it has green, yellow, or pink legs - It is an EE. There are a lot of things to tell though.

Here is one of our girls
IMG_5737.jpg

Here is the 2nd one in ?
IMG_5752.jpg

Also if you could give some insight on a couple of others PLEASE
smile.png

IMG_5741.jpg

IMG_5650.jpg

3. she is a silkie, but how good of quality?
IMG_5760.jpg

4. same ? as #3
IMG_5763.jpg

Thanks so much for all the help!!

Last edited:
The only pic I"m seeing is the inside of a nice looking coop and a food dish
wink.png
Lots of the same pic too
big_smile.png

The egg color of the Ameraucana can sure vary. Would be good to be all consistent and I think most breeders are going for that rather then having any greens in their egg colors.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom