Americauna/8 months shaking head and puffed up

I'm1chickencuddler

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 31, 2011
Candy is/was my heaviest hen. She is an 8 month old Americauna. I picked her up because she was perched fluffed up and shaking her head constantly. I haven't held her in several days. She usually comes over and hops up on my lap. She hasn't in days. She is not acting like herself and she has lost weight. She sleeps in a coop with straw on the floor. She eats layer/breeder pellets, cracked corn, fresh grasses, rice, bananas, yogurt, cheese, and various breads. Thinking back over the past couple days, I haven't seen her eat. Her crop seems full and hard. I don't exactly know what is normal. This is my first year with chickens. I have had her since she was 3 days old. Please help!

Will someone please advise on what to do for an impacted crop? I am assuming that is what is going on. Her crop is hard. I gave her a syringe full of olive oil. I gave her water with solmet antibiotics which she is drinking like crazy after I gave her the olive oil. I have massaged it with moderate pressure a couple times. I don't know how hard is too hard. She sits in my lap still for it. She doesn't seem to be in pain but I can tell something is wrong. I have her in a crate in my bathroom. I went back to compare crops from everybody else and while they are full, they are mushy and pliable. I gave her some rice/yogurt/olive oil mix which she has eaten a bit and massaged her again. Please advise. I love my Candy and want her around for many years to come! Thank you!!

Keep doing what you've been doing except withhold her food for 24 hrs. Only give her water with ACV in it. 1TBS per gal. Keep massaging and giving oil may sure when giving the oil, you don't get it in her lungs. Massage several times a day. Check her crop in the morning that's when it should be empty since they don't eat at night. 2nd day start her on soft foods like scrambled eggs mixed with a little yogurt or buttermilk. Real soft oatmeal is good also. It took my hen 3 days to get back to normal. I'd stop with the antibiotics. She doesn't need them with an impacted crop they may kill the good bacteria she needs to recover.

Last edited:
I gave her a syringe full of olive oil and massaged her last night before her bedtime. I also gave her some rice with yogurt in it(more yogurt than rice). This morning her crop is still hard. I gave her another syringe full of olive oil and massaged her some more. She just stays huddled up in my lap shaking her head and starting to dig at her self outside her crop. It is obvious she is uncomfortable but I don't think she is in pain. I don't want to lose her. I am scared I may. How much pressure do I use to massage her and am I trying to work it up or down? Circular motions? I am so upset and want to do all I can to help her through this. Thank you!

Use firm pressure between thumb and index/middle fingers pinching and massaging. Don't move it up, you want to massage it back and down towards the hole in the crop. My hen only had grain in her crop because I could feel it in there. If your chicken has hay/straw or grass balled up in there it will be harder for it to move through the crop. If its just grain, you should be able to feel it in there.

We are going on a month now. She has been to the vet twice and we talk to the vet almost every day. She weighs almost nothing compared to her robust weight earlier. We have been tubing her and giving her pedialite and blending in some of her crumbles. Yesterday she ate very well for the first time in a month. I still don't know if she's going to make it but we are still working with her. The vet says there is no way she would survive the surgery and she can't feel what could possible be blocking her up. We are still working with her and are not giving up!

fl.gif
Sending good vibes your way, let us know how she is please.
fl.gif

Well, she is still, in my humble opinion, dangerously thin. I am very pleased to let you and anyone else who may have the slightest interest in Candy.....she has been eating like there is no tomorrow for 2 days. Yesterday and so far today. Thank you very much for the good vibes! I hope and pray she pulls through this and lives a long life! I will keep you posted.

Back
Top Bottom