Americauna egg laying

arteacher

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 24, 2010
I was curious how well americaunas lay? The guy at the feed store says they only lay a couple eggs a week. I bougth some beautiful wheaten/blue wheaten from blue poultry .com and I am patiently waiting for eggs

Quote:
They are listed as medium layers in the breed pages here. But it couldn't find out what exactly that means, but would assume that is about 4 eggs a week.
Click on the word breeds at the top of the page, to see more infoi.

Imp

Quote:
They are listed as medium layers in the breed pages here. But it couldn't find out what exactly that means, but would assume that is about 4 eggs a week.

Imp

I have one americauna and have 2 blue eggs.. do other breeds lay blue eggs.. I was told by my dad (ok he's no expert in chickens) that the color of the egg are similar to the color of the hens legs??? if that's true, I wonder if it's my black SL that's laying...

Quote:

Imp

I have one americauna and have 2 blue eggs.. do other breeds lay blue eggs.. I was told by my dad (ok he's no expert in chickens) that the color of the egg are similar to the color of the hens legs??? if that's true, I wonder if it's my black SL that's laying...

The only breed that I'm aware of that lays blue eggs are Aracona. The Ameracauna is derived from the Aracona line developed in the 70's, and also can lay a blue egg. I'm not all that familiar with the different breeds. I believe crosses with either are called Easter Eggers and can lay bluish/green/olive/pink/or brown eggs.

Imp

Last edited:
Are these true Ameraucanas or are they EEggers (Sometimes spelled Americauna or other misspellings of Ameraucana)? My true Ameraucanas didn't start to lay until they were 31 weeks old and laid an egg every other day --like clock work.. My Easter Eggers were 32-34 weeks old when they started to lay and one laid one egg every week--she died just after 9months old and the other laid an egg almost everyday.

Yeah umm both Ameraucanas and Araucanas should only lay blue eggs. (some of course lay on the green side though)

A typical Easter Egger (a mutt, usually falsely sold as an "Americana") begins laying around 21-25 weeks.

A typical Ameraucana begins laying around 24-28 weeks, however some of mine began at 22 weeks for me.

If your "Ameraucana" has green or yellow legs, it is not an Ameraucana.

Leg color does not define egg color.

One of my Easter Eggers lays almost five a week and the other lays only three. I can tell because there are are five green ones, and three blue ones.

Back
Top Bottom