Amish Friendship Bread Starter Recipe

sianara

Songster
13 Years
Apr 27, 2007
Central MA
I don't know if this is really an Amish recipe but a friend gave it to me about 15 years ago and we still love it today. Every fall I pull out this recipe and have it going for 2 or 3 cycles.

The “original starter” recipe listed below on page 1 under Day 1 is for those who are making the starter from scratch. Otherwise, when you give a bag of starter to friends, they should start at the directions for Day 2.

I've listed pages 2 and 3 (tried-and-true recipes with my family’s preferences starting at the top) as separate threads.

AMISH FRIENDSHIP BREAD ORIGINAL STARTER

WARNING: Do not use metal spoons or bowls. I use a rubber coated whisk and ceramic casserole dish with a lid

DAY 1
1-teaspoon active dry yeast
2½ C lukewarm water
1 Tablespoon sugar
2 C flour

In a 2½-3 quart ceramic casserole dish with a lid soften yeast in ½ C water for five minutes. Add rest of water, sugar and flour. Mix well with a plastic spoon, fork or rubber coated whisk, making sure to smash all flour lumps. Mixture can be left in covered glass bowl or transferred to a 1 gallon Ziploc bag.

Day 2-5
Stir well once daily. Make sure to replace lid after each stirring. (If in plastic bag: mash the bag and let the air out).

Day 6
Add 1C flour, 1C sugar, 1C milk and stir well after each addition, then replace lid. (If in plastic bag: mash the bag and let the air out after each addition).

Day 7-9
Stir well once daily. Make sure to replace lid after each stirring. (If in plastic bag: mash the bag and let the air out after each addition).

Day 10
Add 1C flour, 1C sugar, 1C milk and stir well after each addition. (If in plastic bag: mash the bag and let the air out after each addition). Divide equally into SIX portions putting five portions into one-gallon Ziploc bags and saving one for you to bake with. Give away the 5 portions (or save one bag to keep the starter going) and use the 6th portion to make bread. Your saved bag can then be transferred to a 2½ -3 qt. glass bowl with lid. Wait until the next day and start at the directions of day 2 all over again. At the end of a cycle, you will end up with approximately 8 Cups of liquid starter.

NOTE: When sharing a 1-gallon bag with a friend at the end of day 10, their options are:
#1) Make the bread
OR
#2) Continue adding to the starter so they will end up with SIX portions. In which case they should wait one day and start at the directions for day two. Always make a note on the bag of what cycle-day the starter is at and always include a copy of these instructions.

ENJOY!!! (and look up the other threads for tried and true recipes
big_smile.png
)

Last edited:
Thank you so much for this. We had one going a long time ago and didn't think we would ever see it again. I think I will start one up tomorrow.
celebrate.gif

Oh good, I'm glad some other friendship bread lovers found this thread
big_smile.png
(Don't forget to check out the Mock Pistachio, Cardamom & Vanilla Cinnamon recipes as well)

kbarrett, will have to check out the link for even MORE recipes! Thanks

Last edited:
Quote:
As soon as it starts to get cool in New England, this recipe comes out. Two days ago I was out working on my ducks new pool (thread here https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=405350 ) and it was in the mid 50s, wind blowing tons of leaves down etc and I thought "ooh, Friendship Bread Time!!!"
ya.gif
Today is day 3 for me can't wait til Day 10...

annie3001, did you start yours?

TIP:
For many years on Day 10, I divided the starter into 4 bags as the recipe originally called for but I found it made the bread too "yeasty" tasting so a few years back I switched to dividing it into 6 bags and that has worked out fine.

Quote:
As soon as it starts to get cool in New England, this recipe comes out. Two days ago I was out working on my ducks new pool (thread here https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=405350 ) and it was in the mid 50s, wind blowing tons of leaves down etc and I thought "ooh, Friendship Bread Time!!!"
ya.gif
Today is day 3 for me can't wait til Day 10...

annie3001, did you start yours?

hello:
i didnt get around to start it. ill have more time tommorrow! (smile)

Back
Top Bottom