Ammo Display At the Bank!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laurajean

Slightly Touched
9 Years
Apr 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I was just posting another thread on my big night out in my new small town (just moved here 6 months ago) and it reminded me of a funny thing to share:

Last week I was in the only bank in town. All TWO tellers were there, so it was fully staffed. Well, you know how some local banks will have a "featured local business of the week"? It might be "Joe's Landscaping" and there's a display with before and after pictures of peoples' yards, and some free Joe's Landscaping pens, and some business cards, etc. It's a lovely way to suggest that your bank cares about the local small business owners.

Well, as I was waiting for my transaction to be processed, I glanced over and saw the featured business was "Bud's Ammo & Firearms"! I thought, you have to be kidding me! There was a display of ammo boxes (empty of course, but still!) along with business cards and a display of various guns for sale. I literally laughed out loud and when the teller looked at me wondering why I was laughing I said "Wow, I know I moved to a small town when the local sponsored business at the bank is a guns & ammo shop! She didn't get it, and gave me a polite but blank look.

I'm like, "Guns and Ammo? Sponsored by the BANK?! Get your guns and ammo at Bud's and then come on over and rob the bank!".
lau.gif

Then another teller got the humor in it and started laughing and saying they hadn't thought of that.

I thought it was so hilarious. I seriously wanted to go back and take a picture of it and send it in to Leno or something, but by the time I thought to do it, the display was replaced with a Mary Kay display.
lol.png

Have you considered that the bank management might be, in a not so subliminal manner, communicating a little something else to a potential Willie Sutton?

If I was in line, and the business being given the highlight was a local manufacturer of handmade pillow cases, well I'd be eyeballing fellow customers to see if any of them looked as if they were considering `fingering' the merchandise on display...

It's a one-stop-shop thing, you know combining errands to save fuel... how very green of them!

gig.gif

The only thing that would make that even funnier would be if the bank robber who bought his gun there paid with a credit card.

Quote:
Don't take that the wrong way? How exactly am I supposed to take it? I don't think you were implying anything nice, so why preface it with "don't take this the wrong way" when you know exactly how you meant it? A guns and ammo display in a bank is funny, sorry if you don't agree. My stories focus on the humor and strangeness of my remote town. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I moved way out in the sticks and am alone for the first time in my life, and have been met with some pretty strange happenings. I can be intimidated at how people around here are, or I can go with it and have a good laugh. I've opted for the latter. I've been here barely 6 months, so I think I'm entitled to some culture shock. So you can sit there and wonder "why they don't take to me" all you want, but I have never done or said anything unkind to a single person in this town. I think laughter is the best medicine, and I'm just trying to cope with my new and strange surroundings.

Last edited:
Quote:
I agree with you Steve....said that once too but she took exception to me saying it might have something to do with her attitude and both our comments to each other quickly went POOF!

I think LauraJean is a brilliant writer! I also think she is taking advantage of her surroundings to fill her need to write .. brilliant!!

I also can't help but think that a bit of it is embellished - but such is the nature of writing.

I live in a very small town ..and I would react to the very thing that this post is about by saying something like "Man .. gotta LOVE small towns." .. and then go see the ammo guy so I can buy another ammo box .. having spare ammo just laying around can clutter up the house, ya know ..

I also imagine myself moving to an LA suburb and using my time writing of the craziness of the liberals, trans-sexuals, health-food nuts, tree-huggers and such ... TOTALLY not my style, but very do-able because I would be somewhat out of my element and would be great fodder for writing.

It is what it is .. or maybe it's not .. but I enjoy LauraJean's writing!!

There are quirks in every town and every living environment .. and what is "normal" for you is absolutely crazy, boring or out of the ordinary to the next person.

Carry on.

disclaimer: I have NOTHING against liberals, trans'sexuals, health-food nuts, and tree-huggers .. it was an example, because it would be out of my element .. don't send me nasty pms .. lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom