Amputated bottom beak

Medic7220

Hatching
Oct 16, 2015
I just bought some chickens from someone this week and have now discovered that one of the barred rocks has a missing bottom beak. Is there any hope for this girl?

Welcome to BYC :)

Does it look like a fresh injury or an old one? Is she overly thin?

The biggest problem with break injuries is difficulty in eating and drinking. You will need to provide containers wide and deep enough for the bird to scoop up food and water with her damaged lower beak.

Also keep a close eye on her weight - a good indication of whether she is getting enough food.

Last edited:
It looks to be an older injury. How old i am not sure. She is thin for what i would think she should be however she is an unknown age to me. And thanks for the welcome.
This is my second flock to rescue. I got this poor group from a small run that didnt have a coop. Only roosting bars and a three sided lean to. They were in about 1 to 2 inches of wet poop. I almoat didnt get them but in the end felt they were better off with me.
Also being new to having chickens i am unsure of a way to tell the age of the bird.

The best way to evaluate a bird's body condition is to palpate the muscles under the chest, and the fill of the abdomen. A healthy bird will have thick, firm breast muscles, and a soft, full abdomen. Thin birds feel bony and skinny. Sounds like she may have trouble eating enough - either because the food was in a container that made it difficult for her to scoop up, or maybe because she just can not eat enough. If she can eat out of a bowl where she can get to the food and water more easily, she may be able to do fine. Good luck
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom