An aggressive hen who can't get along wit My NewHampshire hen

TheTwoRoos

Crowing
Sep 25, 2015
I have these two hens in my flock.One is Buff Orpington,and the others is a New Hampshire Red,both were in the same 3 year old batch.

So far,I have not had any good luck with with BO's,their mean.Her sister was the same way,in fact her sister would wing dance around me,very grumpy when I picked her up,always growling as she "Hopped" away.But,I liked her sister Buffy,I dislike her.She always is trying to fight this big New Hampshire hen,never have they really took it down line yet,but the BO cannot seem to understand her place.This only goes on during snack time.The NHR seems to kinda give her the silent treatment,but does sometime have to get in her fight mode.Not sure if it is the size the BO is scared of (She is pretty small),but i'm afraid something is gonna go very wrong between these hens one day.

Any idea?

Interesting how all are individuals. Orpington are usually friendly toward people.

It sounds like normal chicken behavior. Why do you think the Orp should "accept her place"? Dynamics in the flock are ever changing from day to day and moment to moment even.

Seriously, if you don't like her, send her to a new home. Life is too short for our hobbies to annoy us.
smile.png

I thought about,but I thought pecking order kinda sticks until a bird gets the guts to become higher or possibly you re-Introduced a hen,thought it could only change in a few of those ways.

The pecking order is very fluid with birds constantly looking for an opportunity to improve their position.

Some are docile and will accept being low, maybe they like to avoid the drama. But most are always looking for a step up. And things like the usually dominant one tripping or falling over something during a confrontation can elevate the lower bird at that moment only to change back again.

The meanest hens I've seen towards humans and their flock mates are broodies.

My daughter and I even chat about who is where in the order on a daily basis. Adding and removing any bird does alter the pecking order. But it is never static, in any species that I know of.

Back
Top Bottom