An Open Letter to Significant Others (a RANT)

The OP has a good marriage! I believe she said 23 years! That is success! She is just venting, which is a way to defuse anger and frustration that happens in every relationship. It is a positive coping mechanism and she has used this thread as a way to alleviate the frustration and not take it out on her husband, coming here instead, for support. In most successful marriages, you tolerate a lot, and save the confrontations for the really serious stuff (called picking your battles), but you still need to let off steam, and that is what is happening here. Humor is also a way to alleviate stress/anger/frustration and it is also a healthy coping mechanism. So lighten up everybody, and have some fun here!
I agree..need to tread lightly. This is BYC. Kid friendly. :highfive:

You do really fantastic work! My son cosplays when he can afford it. I wish I had pics, but he's been the Engineer from Team Fortress 2, Naked Snake from the Metal Gear franchise, Zee Captain from Romantically Apocalyptic, Spike from Cowboy Bebop, among others. My fave was when he dressed as PSY (of Gangnam Style fame). But even his best doesn't hold a candle to your creations!!!

Forgot to add that I've cosplayed as Snape, Rosie the Riveter, and Obi Wan. Lol!
It can be a very expensive hobby. I originally started by recreating vintage clothes from antique and vintage patterns because I couldn't afford the gorgeous vintage dresses I saw on Ebay. So I'd buy a pattern for a few dollars and make the dress out of old sheets, drapes or recut a thrift store dress. I do cosplay a similar way. Most of it I sew, making it much cheaper. I usually only buy the accessories and sometimes we even make those.

It can be a very expensive hobby. I originally started by recreating vintage clothes from antique and vintage patterns because I couldn't afford the gorgeous vintage dresses I saw on Ebay. So I'd buy a pattern for a few dollars and make the dress out of old sheets, drapes or recut a thrift store dress. I do cosplay a similar way. Most of it I sew, making it much cheaper. I usually only buy the accessories and sometimes we even make those.
I think my daughter is in hock to the fabric store (Beverlys)... Her last costume was Tsukuyomi, a moon goddess in Final Fantasy XIV... https://www.pcgamesn.com/final-fantasy-xiv-a-realm-reborn/ffxiv-stormblood-tsukuyomi-raid I think it took her 6 months and I can only imagine what it cost... She wore it at the convention in Las Vegas last October. It is really difficult to take something that is an anime drawing and recreate it in real materials... and quite costly! I don't know if she is going this year or not, but it is an invitation only competition. If she goes, I hope she picked something less elaborate this time, it was day and night the month before the convention last year. It looked good, though! I think I would like to recreate old, vintage clothes more and go to those teas at historic old houses...

My dream job would be a costume maker for broadway shows or ballet or movies! But I am just a housewife with lots of spare time and a sewing machine
There's no such thing as "just a housewife," especially when children are involved! Check out your local college or dinner theatre. They can always use a good costume maker - and you'll meet some pretty interesting people - of all ages - to boot.

There's no such thing as "just a housewife," especially when children are involved! Check out your local college or dinner theatre. They can always use a good costume maker - and you'll meet some pretty interesting people - of all ages - to boot.

Yeah, I was gonna say, Don't "just a housewife" at me, lol. The first time somebody called me a housewife it got my hackles right up. I am not a house wife, I said, I am HIS wife! My profession is HOME MAKER. I work full time, overtime, weekends and nights. The pay stinks but the fringies are not bad. I am raising children for time and eternity. Now, you were saying? ... I think this was an insurance salesman who wanted me to put housewife as my job description. Remember, "the hand that rocks the cradle rules the world." But whether you have kids or not, you follow those dreams. You are not "just" anything! :highfive:

Edit to add: is a man ever a "househusband"??? Phht! Away with the word housewife!

Yeah, I was gonna say, Don't "just a housewife" at me, lol. The first time somebody called me a housewife it got my hackles right up. I am not a house wife, I said, I am HIS wife! My profession is HOME MAKER. I work full time, overtime, weekends and nights. The pay stinks but the fringies are not bad. I am raising children for time and eternity. Now, you were saying? ... I think this was an insurance salesman who wanted me to put housewife as my job description. Remember, "the hand that rocks the cradle rules the world." But whether you have kids or not, you follow those dreams. You are not "just" anything! :highfive:
Domestic Engineer ... Schedule Master ... Childcare Professional ... Taxi Driver ... Nutritionist ... Fashion Coordinator ... Cook ... Doctor ... Nurse ... Animal Husbandry Expert ... Interior Decorator ... Landscaper ... Psychologist ... The list goes on (and on, and on ...) take your pick. They all fit, yet none do. It is, as is often said, "The toughest job you'll ever love." It's never, NEVER "just a housewife!"

Domestic Engineer ... Schedule Master ... Childcare Professional ... Taxi Driver ... Nutritionist ... Fashion Coordinator ... Cook ... Doctor ... Nurse ... Animal Husbandry Expert ... Interior Decorator ... Landscaper ... Psychologist ... The list goes on (and on, and on ...) take your pick. They all fit, yet none do. It is, as is often said, "The toughest job you'll ever love." It's never, NEVER "just a housewife!"

I used to pass myself off as a "private chef." People thought that was so fancy. :lol:

Oh my gosh - or a high school! Our school would totally benefit as our theater teacher rents a lot of costumes from the professional theater for quite a bit of money. Those she doesn't rent, she creates, but it's too much for her to direct, choreograph, set design/build, sew costumes AND teach a full schedule of classes. I'm sure the schools could pay, too.

Oh my gosh - or a high school! Our school would totally benefit as our theater teacher rents a lot of costumes from the professional theater for quite a bit of money. Those she doesn't rent, she creates, but it's too much for her to direct, choreograph, set design/build, sew costumes AND teach a full schedule of classes. I'm sure the schools could pay, too.
Boy, High Schools must have a better budget than they did in my day... We made our own... Still have one of the ones I made... I made 2 for that play, though. The other one is still there, in the dark recesses of the theater costume area. Our drama teacher was good at eliminating costs for his productions... We built the sets, painted them, borrowed or got donated furniture... We did all this at his direction on weekends and after school... He did reimburse me for the materials of the costume that was kept, but I got a dirty look for asking... (It was only $11.00) But that was a lot more money then than it is now.

Back
Top Bottom