Ancona Ducks

I'm not sure if this one actually is an Ancona, or maybe a magpie?
Shes (all my ducks are girls in my head) my favorite though, I love the markings. Can't wait to see her with all of her mature feathers.

I'm not sure if this one actually is an Ancona, or maybe a magpie? Shes (all my ducks are girls in my head) my favorite though, I love the markings. Can't wait to see her with all of her mature feathers.
She looks ancona to me. I think having the black a little more broken up is the desirable trait when breeding but she is still very beautiful. I have one very similar myself. :)

I read online that they're not very common? I believe the word endangered was used? I find it hard to believe she is an ancona, i picked her up at an auction for $12
1f615.png

They are not super common but I don't know if I use the word endangered. I'm standing here looking at about 300 of them in my backyard

I was going to say Magpie, she looks exactly like my magpie, plus she has a black bill. Anconas shouldn't have a pure black bill. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. :) Or she could be a mix. Magpie in the front, Ancona in the back with two Rouens.

Last edited:
I was going to say Magpie, she looks exactly like my magpie, plus she has a black bill. Anconas shouldn't have a pure black bill. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. :) Or she could be a mix. Magpie in the front, Ancona in the back with two Rouens.
Anconas are desired to have the typical "saddle" markings, and be mostly black, paricularly on their backs, with some white. Magpies are more randomly patterned, usually with spots, and are smaller (4.5-6 pounds), but Anconas can have spots, and are 5.5-7.5 pounds. Magpies are more conformed like Cayugas, and Anconas are more conformed like Silver Appleyards.

Anconas are desired to have the typical "saddle" markings, and be mostly black, paricularly on their backs, with some white. Magpies are more randomly patterned, usually with spots, and are smaller (4.5-6 pounds), but Anconas can have spots, and are 5.5-7.5 pounds. Magpies are more conformed like Cayugas, and Anconas are more conformed like Silver Appleyards.

From what I read about the anconas is you actually don't want solid black and their isn't a conformity to it. The black should be broken on the sides, head and underside but no 2 will be alike because their markings are similar to the Holstein cows. Some will get solid coloring but it's an undesirable trait and is recommended not to use in breeding programs. Anconas beaks should also be broken up but again they don't conform so I suppose it's possible to get one with an all black beak. I would assume that's an undesirable trait as well though. I don't know much about magpies. I do know they have similar traits and that their bodies and beaks should also be broken up. Solid color is undesirable and they are just slightly smaller then anconas. I plan on starting a breeding program with my anconas and have been doing loads of research lol. Hopefully I will produce more quality ducks. :)

Back
Top Bottom