Ancona Ducks

Pics
Awesome! I didn't know she had those colors
I got some eggs in the incubator from her right now. Trying to diversify my flock a bit :)

Did you get 3 or 12? I wish I had gotten 12....all 3 of mine made it and I know two other people who ordered 3 from them and both have veins started in all of theirs.

Contact info for who you got them from would be great.

Oh! Sorry lol. Wowsa Farm in NC. If you search for hatching eggs on eBay you will see their ad. There's no guarantees with hatching eggs that they will come out the same but it's a possibility! I'm definitely going to order more eggs from them in the future. The ducklings are just beautifully marked.

Hey all of you that breed Anconas, do you adher to the show standards or just breed?

If you are interested in learning more about the different colors, you are welcome to visit our website at http://worthitfarms.jigsy.com/ancona-colors

It is true that the APA does not recognize this breed. Dave Holdderread has a written breed standard you can order from his website, but since the breed has no organization or recognized standard, it's mostly a landrace breed with a reasonable amount of diversity. Luckily, it is a consistent enough producer to consider it a breed to itself.

If you are interested in learning more about the different colors, you are welcome to visit our website at http://worthitfarms.jigsy.com/ancona-colors

It is true that the APA does not recognize this breed. Dave Holdderread has a written breed standard you can order from his website, but since the breed has no organization or recognized standard, it's mostly a landrace breed with a reasonable amount of diversity. Luckily, it is a consistent enough producer to consider it a breed to itself. 

So if I were to want to breed to "better the breed" should I follow the written breed standard you mention?

So if I were to want to breed to "better the breed" should I follow the written breed standard you mention?
I would. It seems like there are quite a few people with them now who are trying to follow this standard.
I do, however, I kind of add a few others things to get the type of ducks that I like the most. Like patterns, foraging ability, broodiness, etc. Plus I like dual purpose breeds so I like to breed bigger, more filled out ducks as they serve that purpose better :) So it's one of those breeds you can have a little bit of fun with.

I ordered from her privately. I ended up with 24 eggs, 4 were broken and 5 are duds. So I have 15 growing and due Dec 4 th !!!

Okay thanks for the tips. That's what I was looking for. I kept getting mixed answers from people though!

I will look into ordering/buying his book.

Learycow---I'm hopefully getting some adults or ducklings from them when they drive down to Tampa in December :)

Back
Top Bottom