Ancona Ducks

I have a little duckling, for the first few days I was feeding her without grit. Then I noticed swelling around her neck. I was informed she was having trouble digesting. Immediately, I went and purchased some grit. Often I would massage it she'd vomit a brown to darker brown liquid. Once she'd vomited on her own, just kind of pouring out of her mouth. It was more clear brown then. I was super worried. Since I've purchased the grit, its been about two days one night, I want to say I've noticed the swelling go down. I read somewhere this evening when they get the swelling to massage it. I happened upon one article talking about holding them upside down and gently rubbing it, that a black rancid liquid would be released. Unsure, I was curious if that would help. I love my little Knit and I hate the thought of losing her. So I tilted her at an upside down slight angle, but not so far it could drain down her nose, and for those few seconds I massaged her I was pleased to see some icky dark brown liquid release from her. Immediately I felt less pressure in her chest. I gave her a break and tried again more gently, no results. I haven't wanted to try again since the last few attempts were unsuccessful. I was wondering if there is anything else I could do for her? I'm afraid if I do nothing its an automatic death sentence so if anyone knows anything, please help!!!!!

I have a little duckling, for the first few days I was feeding her without grit. Then I noticed swelling around her neck. I was informed she was having trouble digesting. Immediately, I went and purchased some grit. Often I would massage it she'd vomit a brown to darker brown liquid. Once she'd vomited on her own, just kind of pouring out of her mouth. It was more clear brown then. I was super worried. Since I've purchased the grit, its been about two days one night, I want to say I've noticed the swelling go down. I read somewhere this evening when they get the swelling to massage it. I happened upon one article talking about holding them upside down and gently rubbing it, that a black rancid liquid would be released. Unsure, I was curious if that would help. I love my little Knit and I hate the thought of losing her. So I tilted her at an upside down slight angle, but not so far it could drain down her nose, and for those few seconds I massaged her I was pleased to see some icky dark brown liquid release from her. Immediately I felt less pressure in her chest. I gave her a break and tried again more gently, no results. I haven't wanted to try again since the last few attempts were unsuccessful. I was wondering if there is anything else I could do for her? I'm afraid if I do nothing its an automatic death sentence so if anyone knows anything, please help!!!!!
I need some background info here. What are you feeding her and how old is this duckling? If it's young it need to be on a good duck starter feed which should not require grit to be added. Second, whenever they eat and drink their chest will swell as they're not like humans where the food goes immediately to the stomach.

Last edited:

My little ancona flock from last year went broody this month. All of them. (pic is from last fall, only one that shows all of them and their colors)
I've been so fascinated watching first Gracie, the lavender duck, go broody on about 9 eggs, then ChocoDuck jumped in to help her out as the nest got bigger, then Houdini, the silver, sat a nest with the extra eggs - all in a 2ft x 4ft dog house - they all started community nesting all bundled together and when it gets chilly at night, the drake helps lol. His mating instincts have totally gone to protecting instincts - I didn't see that coming - a solicitous drake, you go Mr. Blue!

It finally registered that today was day 21 for Gracie (I think) and we could have ducklings next week, like soon. I've been being so good being patient and watching it snuck up on me. Now I'm getting excited since we have hit the final quadmester we should be looking pretty solid for a few hatchings. I bribed them off the nests with salad in the pool and took my first peek in the duck house - one huge nest of 16 and one nest beside it of 7 - wow! They ditched 5 after the first week so I wasn't expecting 23 - oops. With 4 different colors and the odd markings, it will be very interesting to see what next week brings, fingers crossed. This is the first hatching for all of us, they just turned a year old May 2nd. The second nest is a crap shoot - I have no idea if it's rotated eggs, if they were all sitting the big nest and one of them was building this one or what, so I could have a staggered hatch - not sure how that would work.

Thought I'd hop on here and wait and peek with all the others with new hatches this spring :) Because now, of course, patience has flown the coop lol

Help! lol.....I have 5 Ancona mommas all sitting on a clutch at the same time. I have always bought peeps, or incubated my own chickens and I am new to ducks. How do I feed the ducklings when they hatch? I would like to leave them with their mothers in the run if possible instead of removing them to a brooder. Is that a bad idea? If I leave them in the run, how do I feed and water them without the adults eating all their food?

Help! lol.....I have 5 Ancona mommas all sitting on a clutch at the same time. I have always bought peeps, or incubated my own chickens and I am new to ducks. How do I feed the ducklings when they hatch? I would like to leave them with their mothers in the run if possible instead of removing them to a brooder. Is that a bad idea? If I leave them in the run, how do I feed and water them without the adults eating all their food?
we just provide shallow feed and water tubs for ducklings who hatch under momma. They generally do well even though we do get the occasional that's a great setter, but a poor mother. If we leave them it all depends on whether the mother duck is any good at her job or not. Ducklings are amazingly resilient. Just make sure they can't crawl into whatever your using for water and drown.

Ok, you mentioned ducklings drowning......I have heard that a million places. Yesterday, I took that last of the roosters I incubated into Pleasant Valley Poultry to be freezer fodder. Pleasant Valley Poultry in the heart of Amish country, and is owned by and Amishman named Aden. While I was there I talked for an hour of so to him about ducks. He processes any type of chickens or water fowl you can think of, but also raises ducks. He just built a new duck pond but until the grass grows around the dam, he has most of the ducks "up on the hill" (about 300 or so) A few of his Muscovies, and a couple of call ducks that were broody, he left down by the new pond. There are about 100 ducklings running around that are anywhere from a few days old to 3 or 4 weeks old. They all swim with mom, and play in the water all day. I asked "Aden" if he ever looses any from drowning. He looked at me like I was nuts and said "they're DUCKS"!

If it was me I'm not saying that it is common but if you have young ducklings in deep water and they tire out and are not smart enough to leave the water, then they can drown. His are running with mama hens, they teach the babies when to leave the water.

Yes, ducklings can drown, especially when not with the momma. Baby ducks that are with momma get oil from her feathers until their oil gland starts to work. Until the oil gland starts to work, ducklings are not very waterproof & can get waterlogged quickly. A tired, waterlogged duckling will drown. I've lost several in water buckets after they jumped in & couldn't get back out.

I have lost a few from getting in a pool and not being able to get out. Now when I have baby ducks the adults go without a pool for awhile if the mamas are raising the babies. I use a shallow pan for the babies.

Back
Top Bottom