Ancona or Silver Spangled Hamburgs?

heyjami

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 7, 2008
I'm taking votes. They are the top birds in the flock, agressive and flightly, plenty of personality and they often face off with the other birds with their hackles/feathers up. Beautiful and fun to have, without a doubt.
12851_queenie_8_wks.jpg

Either anconas or exchequer leghorns! Definitly not silver sapngled hamburgs, since they would be a white bird with black tipped feathers and a rosecomb.

If they are leghorns I would say they are both hens, since my leghorn cockerals I have right now are 4 weeks old and already have a half inch tall comb and wattles to match(they themselfs are only as big as a fist though).

FYI, my opinion comes with limited experience and in my own experience as I just started keeping chickens in Feb. Not familiar with Exchequer but the top does kind of resemble my Ancona except more white. Mine is a pullet and is high on the totem pole so not many fight with her but she is really sweet to the others unless someone younger gets too big for their britches. She is a real character and has proven that not all Ancona are prone to not trusting humans, she lets us carry her around and pet on her but she does take freerange literally and will fly over the fence into the runs when she tires of our BR cockerels romantic nature. She also flies over into the larger run to lay her eggs in the coop then flies back out to freerange. If they are Ancona pullets they will eventually(can't remember how old she was when her comb grew) have a comb that stands up in the front then the rest flops over to the side. The male's will stay straight up. Good luck and enjoy your babies.

Since they are single combed they obviously are not Hamburgs! TOO YOUNG TO BE SURE ABOUT GENDER.

Thanks everyone! Ok, I think I can go with Anconas.

They are really cool pullets. There are certain times they let me hold them, but if the door is open to free range forget it! Outta my way human, I have some bugs and weeds to eat.

One night I freaked out when I found one with their head stuck in the roof area of the coop. I thought some horrible beast came to get it and couldn't get it out. But then I saw it's little leg moved. I had my husband come help it and it was fine! It had stuck it's head between some chicken wire and got stuck. It was the 8' roof!

Where do I find good personality descriptions? I realize each girl is different, but I am curious to read about them.

Thanks for your help!

Wait! I spoke too soon.

Exchequeter Leghorn - we have the yellow legs described. They do kind of resemble the white leghorns, but they're bigger.
Ancona - these two are not small like the breed is described they are bigger than all of the others (except the EE legs are huge vs everyone else's). The pictures looks different than my girls.
Mottled Java - resembles my girls a lot, but we don't have black beaks or toes yet.

It's fun trying to figure this out!

If they legs stay yellow I'd say Exchequeter it is! If they change... I'll be trying to figure out Ancona vs Java.

Back
Top Bottom