Ancona-

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Tumbleweed Farm, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Tumbleweed Farm

Tumbleweed Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    Benton City, WA
    [​IMG]

Meyers Hatchery is advertising for sale purebred Ancona's. I thought hatcheries did not hsave these, or Amerucanas just Easter Eggers. Is this true. I'd like to buy some if they are for real.

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Are you confusing Ancona's with Ameraucana's? As far as I know there is no connection between them other than similar sounding names. Hatcheries often promote "Easter Eggers" as Ameraucanas when they are not true Ameraucana but I don't know of any reason a hatchery wouldn't carry Anconas. If you take a look at their profile in the Breeds database, it will provide more information for you.

3. Tumbleweed Farm

Tumbleweed Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    Benton City, WA
    [​IMG]
    Thank you HEChicken. No they state Anconas not Amerucanas.

4. NewChickHere

NewChickHere Chillin' With My Peeps

McMurray hatchery says the Anconas are regularly carried but could you be thinking Araucana maybe? I am getting Anconas and Araucanas both in my box tomorrow and I am confused by the difference too. They list the Amerucanas with the Araucanas and Easter Eggers altogether, like they are all the same. ?? I am looking to find out what the difference is and that is how I found this thread. And I'm still confused. lol.

5. VCspeckledhens

VCspeckledhens New Egg

Jun 22, 2012
    Well i got lucky and found a great site with real anconas.The website is mypetchicken.com

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by