Andalusian blue male or female????

Boshdosh

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 8, 2011
90867_07052011206.jpg

90867_chicky_dee.jpg

Hi all, this is Chickydee my first ever chicken!

its a blue andalusian and is 10 weeks old (is that called a grower/pullet?)

im getting mixed information on whether its a male or female, any ideas anyone????

im very new to all this but im sure you lot will help me out along the way.

i do have other pictures if you cant tell by these ones.

thanks everyone

ps, my daughter is going to go mad for posting a picture with her on it so dont tell her! lol
wink.png

suzeqf

Songster
8 Years
Mar 17, 2011
roo he looks just like mine he's around 10 weeks old too I was really hoping I was wrong too I so wanted Ices to be a girl but now I have Iceman

Boshdosh

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 8, 2011
thanks for the replys,

are they loud crowers as i live very close to my neighbours and i dont want to fall out with them. i was told at first that it was a hen, do any of you have problems from other people for keeping a roo????

JodyJo

Songster
9 Years
Sep 27, 2010
Colorado
sorry, I live on a 40 acre cattle ranch, I had 9 roos last year....no complaints...except myself at 4am...all 9 going off! Ask around, see what they say, some may think it's ok, quaint country thing and all...good luck!

suzeqf

Songster
8 Years
Mar 17, 2011
mine hasn't crowed yet but my banty's do they usually start around 5 or 6am and crow all day but this is just a typical banty trait they love to sing

Boshdosh

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 8, 2011
on the one side of me the neighbours were critical of someone else further down the street for having chickens till i pointed out that i had a baby and was just waiting to find out what sex it was. they responded well i hope its not a bloody rooster! oh dear.

as you can see chickydee has a floppy crown is this usual for roosters as i was told this is a hen trait or is it i was miss informed by the shop i got it from????

also are the hens bigger or smaller than the roo's?

ps my daughters seen her picture on here and isnt impressed! lol

greenSearcher

Songster
9 Years
Aug 22, 2010
Texoma
At 10 weeks, if it is a male, the comb would be bright red and standing upright, the females do have the floppy beret look. I couldn't tell if it has saddle feathers or not, nor could I see the tail. My BA roo had lots of lovely long tail feathers, quite different than the girls. I have 4 BA hens, one looks like Ices, a pretty splash. Mr Bill crowed about this age, he wasn't terrible loud, not like Thighs and Drumsticks which are walking the earth only because I can't find all my butchering equipement. I'm in the country so the only one to complain is DH when they wake him up. If you need to rehome Iceman, I found folks were interested in the Blue Andalusian, and had no problem selling Mr Bill. Anyway, give it time, you will either get a crow or an egg in a few more weeks.

If you are not prohibited from having roosters, often a dozen eggs on occasion can soothe the grumpy neighbors. Or if you are like I am, my response is "deal with it". Can't do squat about all their barking dogs that run loose, I adjust, so can they.

Top Bottom