Anemic Duck?

The Howard Ducks

Hatching
Jan 7, 2018
Hi Everyone!
Finally joined this site since every time I google something about my ducks i'm always led here and get great info. My husband and I live in Utah, and have 2 Pekin(we think) ducks who will be a year old in March.
About 3 months ago one of our ducks started acting very lethargic and could hardly walk, so we took her to the vet and he said she was anemic, gave her a blood booster shot, some B12 and a steroid, which pretty much made her back to normal within a few hours. Today when we let them out into the yard she jumped in her pool and was acting fine, when all of the sudden she started showing the same symptoms as before. We're giving her lots of peas and treats with B12 to hopefully avoid another visit to the vet since she wasn't a huge fan of that, but does anyone have any suggestions as to what we can give her to keep her iron levels up so this doesn't happen again?
Thanks in advance!

Not enough protein for Ducks.. Ducks need more protein at around 20% and veggies and other vitamins and minerals at balanced levels to remain healthy...
Ah, good to know, we'll grab some food with more protein. We've tried giving them different types of veggies and treats with vitamins, but they're a little picky! Thanks for the info.
Also, duck is back to normal, but we're watching her closely.

Back
Top Bottom