animal control came and said to get rid of my chickens!

I'm still working on getting a hearing with the commissioners. I really don't see why they should say no, but you know how city hall can be. I'm gonna keep at it until they say yes. thanks for asking!
smile.png

I'm pulling for you. I live in a town that does not allow chickens. Been keeping mine incognito. I had a rooster for 8 years, and when he died after a raccoon attack, I couldn't stand being without chickens. I started out with 2 hens...well I have 6 now.
Hey, just notice your zoo! I have 13 cats also!
big_smile.png

thats so funny, 13 cats!! I like that, your zoo! Thats what it is too! Hey, you live NW of chicago? The city of Chicago allows chickens, wonder why your city doesn't??
idunno.gif
Makes no sense, huh? How did you keep a rooster? I had one for a short time, but rehomed him because I DIDN'T want to be "found out". Lotta good that did me. My babies live behind a wooden fence, and you can't see them unless you walk into my yard and peek in. I told my hubby that it must have been the Goodyear Blimp going over our house, and they saw them, and told animal control.
tongue.png
Or maybe one of the planes going over, because we have small airport and theres a flying school there. I guess the run-way is directly over where our house is located, right in its path. I'm only grasping at straws here. It doesn't matter really, it only matters that they found out about them. But you know, the Blimp could see, right, they don't fly fast, so maybe. I'll keep you posted on my progress. Like I said, I'm not given them up, they bother no one, and they ARE my pets, just like the rest of my ZOO!

Barbara

My hubby just told me that animal control was over here again yesterday saying that I HAVE to get rid of my chickens!
somad.gif
He told the ACO that we are going to go to the commissioners and ask to be able to keep our birds. He told my husband that there is a meeting this coming Tuesday evening, and to be there. He didn't think we really had a chance, but he said that the commissioners are different now, and to try. The question is this, I need to write a petition, but I don't know how to write one, any suggestions will surely be welcome, remember, I only have until this Tuesday evening, March 17, St. Patricks Day. Hubby says I can get anyone to sign it. I think my next door neighbor called them, so I won't ask him!
I've got a lot of people who know I have chickens, and they don't see anything wrong with it. I've never had to do this before, so any other suggestions would be great, my girls and I depend on it! Thanks all.

I wonder of the Michigan law about freedom to farm could be of any help. Plenty of info about it here.

It is absurd that anyone who owns a piece of land should not be able to keep a chicken on it -- or do anything else that is not illegal or some sort of awful nuisance....

Back
Top Bottom