animal control came and said to get rid of my chickens!

Quote:
A STEALTH coop? Tell me more!

My hubby and I were thinking about turning a large dog house into a coop (hingeing one side of the roof to lift up for easy access). I'd love to hear more about other 'non coop' coop ideas!

Linda

b.hromada :

actually there is a BIG difference, Macaws make much more noise then your chickens or mine, put together!
yippiechickie.gif
And this stupid thing with my ducks. Hubby keeps telling me that they can't tell us we have to get rid of them, because ducks are wild animals, and they go where ever they want. Again I'll state, but Pekin ducks are not wild, they have been bred for meat, and of course pets, like mine. Now I ask you, whats the difference? If they want to talk about mess, the ducks are far messier than the chickens will ever be, right?

Tell them that the chickens are wild jungle fowl.​

Last edited:
Duval co has all kind of collages there, can you try to take a class in agriculture, and say the chickens are your study, WE used to live in Oceanway, and I think most everybody had chickens of some kind. After all if you get a masters degree in agriculture why should they complain. Just point out you decided on chickens rather hogs, cows or something like that. marrie

b.hromada :

This afternoon the animal control officer came by and said someone complained about my having chickens!!
barnie.gif
He said that he couldn't say a thing about the ducks, but the chickens have to go. I was crying my eyes out
hit.gif
hit.gif
. Hubby says we'll go over to city hall and speak with our commissioners. I will be conducting an email to them also. I refuse to give them up, after all, they have not bothered a soul. Like most of us will say, its probably someone with nothing better to do but make others lives miserable. I'll will keep you posted, as I'm NOT going to give up, heck, I've had them for 8 months, and no one has said a thing!
idunno.gif

Some people are jealous.
somad.gif
Just plain old jealous. It's not right. I hope you give it all you've got and fight it tooth and nail.
smack.gif
They seem to be cowards
D.gif
not to have complained to you first. And yes some people just like to stir things up for no other reason than they are bored. I wish you luck fighting it. Seems odd to me they complain about the chickens and not the ducks. HMMMMM competition maybe? Does anyone else there have chickens? So sorry to hear they took them from you. That is just wrong.​

No, no one else has chickens around here, at least that I know of. Thats what I said about the ducks? Hubby says it coz ducks are wild animals, and go where ever they want (fly), BUT, like I told him, mine and Pekins, they are bred domestic, never wild, and can't fly, even if they wanted to!
tongue.png

I am going to do what ever it takes. Funny thing is this, the letter he gave to my husband was just that, a piece of copy paper with a code # and info on it, not letter head, nothing, then his name typed, then signed at the bottom??? Doesn't sound official to me, how bout you? Believe me, I'm madder than a hornet,
somad.gif
. Hubby told said animal control officer that we would bring them up to his sisters house in Melbourne this coming weekend, but as of yet, haven't made any official plans yet. I'll keep you posted. Lets say a prayer, I want to keep my babies!
fl.gif

Don't get rid of your chickens yet. Request a copy of the ordinance that says your not allowed to keep Poultry in your area. I don't want to open a can of worms but I did Animal Policing in Florida for 12 years. I never made anyone get rid of their chickens. Some people complained about their neighbors having them but once I told them they would be subpoenaed to court for the complaint I or the chickens owners never heard from them again. ( even if it was against the ordinance). I did however have a big problem with dogs running loose and trying to kill chickens. I slapped a $500 fine on the owners and it usually took care of the problem. I also had the injured chickens owner bring them to a vet and made the dog owner pay for it and believe me it's not cheap to put a chicken under anesthesia and suture it up along with sending it home with pain medication and antibiotics.I tried to pull up the laws in your area about owning Poultry but was unable to. Does Pompano Beach have their own ordinance on owning Poultry? Or do they use Broward County or the State Statue? Do you live in a housing development that has their own rules? They can't just tell you to get rid of your chickens( they may try) They would have to take you to court and it would be the courts decision. If you could write what the ordinance or statue says I may be able to help but I need the exact wording. Theirs almost always a way around it. But don't just get rid of your chickens, people always do that and come to find out they never really had to. Good Luck

b.hromada :

Hubby says it coz ducks are wild animals, and go where ever they want (fly), BUT, like I told him, mine and Pekins, they are bred domestic, never wild, and can't fly, even if they wanted to!
tongue.png

Be careful with the "Wild Animal" defense. Here in Oregon the law says that the Department of Fish and Game owns all wild animals. They have actually taken pet deer away from people (yes it went to court). If your state has similar laws you might be opening another can of worms.​

Back
Top Bottom