Animal control is on its way...Update post 73...

Citrusdreams--BEST post I have seen on this topic EVER!! Both sides of this debate have validity. No one should be demonized for killing an animal that has and will continue to attack/kill the animals under their care nor should anyone be ridiculed because they don't belive in taking life. Btw: I think I have your neighbors.
he.gif

Awww .. well just add that to what this neighbor owes you. File against him in Small Claims .. he is responsible for his dog .. whether he sorry about what happens or not.

Ok that needs to stop. We got new neighbors, they told us they had bulldogs. No big deal, I have dogs of my own. Turned out they had pit bulls, with a history of killing livestock. Didn't have chickens at the time, but it got in my field and ripped the throat out of two goats. The only thing that saved the rest was the migrant workers behind us saw it chasing the goats and came screaming for hubby. Hubby had to shoot the second goat, dog ripped its throat out but it didn't die. Now here is my point- and I want no grief from good pit bull owners- My DAUGHTER walked in that field, and on that day she did not, by the Grace of God. If that pit bull is runnign your horses it is going to kill a child. Shoot the danged dog. If your hubby won't do it- go buy a gun. I live one state away from you, I will bring you a gun. Some day you are going to get out of your car and that dog is going to attack you. I don't know if you have children, but that dog could kill them. Yea, I love dogs, have three of my own right now, and if anyone of them ever attacked the neighbors livestock it would not be around anymore. That dog is capable of killing more than chickens.

Country Wife...

I keep telling DH that and he is just playing ostrich with his head in the sand.

Which stuns me to say the least as he is an avid hunter and sportsman so its not like killing things is new to him. I think he just doesnt want to start crap with the neighbors. He worries that this guy will retaliate and harm our dog or other animals, which is a real possibility. So I can see his point.

I think I am just completely stunned that with all of the loss of life that this guy just hasnt gotten rid of the animal. I want this to stop being my problem and start being his problem. Ya know what I mean?

I am drawing my line in the sand at this point. When the dog comes home and gets loose again, I will have to do the dirty deed.... As little as I will enjoy it, I will have to do it...unless I can convince DH to yank his head out of his... sand pile
wink.png
and do the job.

So Kelly told you about Timber, my ex-chicken-eating dog ----who is also an escape artist.

Timber has broken or chewed a part anything that keeps him in.

He has destroyed a 10 x10 chain link kennel.

He has gone thorough a glass window and dug 1/2 way through one of our 8 ft tall 2 inch think antique doors on my 150 year old house.

He would destroy everything (because of his anxiety) if he got out, and at the time, that included the chickens.
Nothing would stop him.

I talked to my vet before I had to shoot my own dog and he suggested a smaller Kennel . I got a medium indoor kennel that is metal. It is just big enough for him to stand or lay down in and crowded to turn. Ends up if he can't move, he cant work his brian into a frenzy. He's bent it up a bit trying, but its been a Godsend.

The vet also suggested Prozac. Yup, they make it for dogs too, but it takes about 2 weeks to kick in.

You might tell your your neighbor to try the smaller kennel method.

I would definitely talk to him about the individual cost of the chickens ON TOP of the fact that they make money and are loved as pets and eat a lot of feed that costs money too.
Maybe if he sees that he is going to have to pay damages, he will do something with the dog. At least let a friend keep it while he lives near you....
Id write down what you have lost and the costs and show it to him.

Knowing now that this is a renter... I would definitely contact the owner. For one, many home insurances do not cover Pitbulls. This puts the owner liable for everything. At the least the owner should be aware that this dog and past dogs have created problems.

I also have a hard time understanding your husband worried about a renter.... that person may be gone tomorrow and he doesnt seem to worried about bothering his neighbors with his dogs as he hould have gotten a kennel that would hold him a LONG time ago... like two years ago when the other dog was chasing your birds. This has gone on long enough, you've been more than accomodating as neighbors it's time for drastic measures.

Contact the owner of the house, I would bet he's unaware of any of this

Good luck!

I can sympathize with you. I'm having a similar problem and figured I'd post under this thread..

Sooo.. New to chicken raising, got chicks this spring, built an awesome coop/pen, and set my babies out once they were a couple months old. My future mother-in-law works at a shop not 50 yards behind our house. (future grampa-in-law owns a lot of land and a lot of family lives on it) even though my future inlaws live a mile down the road from us, they insist on bringing their rat terrier to work with them. Said dog broke into the pen the first day and killed all 15 chickens. Just broke their necks, didn't even eat them.
sad.png
future in-laws apologized, bought me 4 (??) more chicks, and I began raising again. Got my flock up to about 20, once they were feathered out, moved them outside to newly refortified pen. (its a darn good pen, too! Buried fence under ground, stuck drumsticks in ground to keep from digging even more, and have 3 layers of different fencing around the perimeter, plus a top) of course, dog manages to get in and another massacre occurs, same as last time. In-laws apologize and buy me turkeys. Turkeys are outside and new brood of silkies are growing in the house, but I'm scared to move them outside! This dog has killed over 30 of my babies for the thrill of it, and I feel helpless because it's my future mother-in-law's dog! I can't put a collar or a dead chicken on it, because it's her dog.. I can't shoot it because that'd put a definite rift in our relationship, but what do I do? I've sat outside with the shotgun in hopes of firing it at the ground and scaring the dog, but she won't do it with me around because I caught her the second time, and was pretty rough with her..Not rough enough though, because she still comes around. I understand this is a dog doing dog things, but why won't she leave the darn dog at home and save us all the trouble?

Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom