Hound hunters and out of control dogs

It's illegal to do that in my state if the dogs aren't actively presenting a threat to people, pets, livestock, or wildlife.
The Trump administration actually passed a law in 2019, the Preventing Animal Cruelty and Torture Act, which makes inflicting "serious bodily injury" towards any domestic animal a federal crime. Anyone reading this in the United States could get in serious trouble for shooting a dog not actively posing a threat.

Funny, after reading this thread I was thinking it would be nice if someone ran hounds through my area and property on occasion. Bears, fox, deer, and coyote numbers are climbing and are a problem (ask my chickens and bees). Deer eat everything! (ask my garden🤣). Not as many hunters around. Ive had to go all electric fence because of it. I would make friends with hound owners first that way they are far less shy and will retrieve their dogs and will be more respectful to you and your property. If the dogs are killing your livestock thats another story, but it doesnt sound like they are after the OPs chickens. Maybe Im wrong but I always take the nice approach first until its a serious problem. Im not quick to fly off the handle, it usually makes things worse.

I let them know they are trespassing.Although in a polite manner and explain the dogs are a threat to your fowl and you appreciate if they not come back on the property because of the nature that dogs kill chickens.I had the same thing happened and told the hunter I didn't care if they hunted but have someone at my property line and catch the dogs before they make game of my fowl.well a couple weeks later it happened the dogs got in and killed some of my fowl.I went to the gun shop bought a SKS rifle and 2 30 round clips .I went to the dog owner he refused to pay for the damage.I told him next time the dogs come on my property it's over for them.A week later there they come again no one to catch them as I ask.A deer came out the woods on my property and soon dogs in the field out of 9 only 1 made it away.He went across the street to a deputy's house complaining.Him and the deputy cane to my place .I told the deputy everything.The deputy told the owner to remove the dead dogs off my property.End of the hunts there.

I live in upstate NY and just had someone's radio collared hounds running through my property. Initially they were chasing some poor cat I've never seen before and then caught sight of my coop and started to come down the hill towards it. Then they saw me exiting the run with steam coming out of my ears and decided to head for a neighbor's horses instead. I ran after them and got their attention before they made it to the neighbor's horses and grabbed one, which made a second one stop and hang around. I'm pretty sure there was at least one other dog too but don't know where it/they went. I yelled for anyone who was within earshot that I had a lost dog. Nothing. I waited probably a good 10 minutes for a dude to emerge out of the forest to collect the dogs, so no way were these dogs "under control" by any reasonable definition. During the time I was waiting, I snapped photos of the collar of the dog I had hold of and the name and info on it does NOT match the name and info I was told verbally talking to the guy who collected it claiming it was his dog (I didn't mention the photo I had). I made it very clear to the guy that I never want to see those dogs again and where the property bounds are. It's the second time the dogs have been on my land according to my husband who says he's seen at least one of the dogs before in the recent past. Of course the guy says surely must have been someone else's dogs. Although he was very polite the whole time, I rather expect I will be having repeat issues with this now.

I'm looking for advice on what I should be doing to deal with this, both in terms of if I documenting and reporting this and possibly future incidents, and also what else I should do to establish a temporary extra perimeter around the coop should the dogs come in closer in the future. This is my current situation, which I already realize is not grand for this kind of thing:
  • Unfortunately there are only a few old "no trespassing" signs. I bought a bunch of new ones recently but it hasn't been safe to walk the perimeter with a layer of ice under snow since I got them. I will probably have to wait a few more weeks to post new signs.
  • As far as dog deterrents, I have a 50lb Great Pyrenees puppy who is on track to be around 100lbs full grown, but I do not have a fenced region in which to keep her outside with the coop - and she's also not old enough to have full the guarding behavior. She alerts but is still afraid of a lot of things. Once she's full size she would easily eat the dogs I saw today for lunch, but that's going to take a while.
  • I believe my coop and run are protected against dogs like I just saw, but I also don't want a bunch of dogs running up and scaring my chickens half to death even if they can't actually get in. I have no outer fence right now.
I'm wondering about putting electric poultry netting or something similar to run in a small area around the coop at least as a temporary thing, but (1) will something like that even deter dogs and (2) this may sound stupid but can electric netting or tape be set up safely with posts that are in buckets of rock/cement sitting above the ground? The ground is frozen solid, and even after it thaws it will be extremely hard to drive anything into the ground, which is more rock than dirt in most places.
I have chickens and I have a hound. A fence does little to stop a hound unless it is solid and over 6-8'. It is in their nature to not be deterred when on a scent (including electric shocks). Seems like the guy with the hounds was nice and will do his best to keep them away. Hounds are scent dogs. You'd be better off putting anti-scent around. Hounds are usually in packs and while Great Pyrenees are listed on the most dangerous dogs list, I wouldn't want my dog to get mixed up in a pack fight.

I live in upstate NY and just had someone's radio collared hounds running through my property. Initially they were chasing some poor cat I've never seen before and then caught sight of my coop and started to come down the hill towards it. Then they saw me exiting the run with steam coming out of my ears and decided to head for a neighbor's horses instead. I ran after them and got their attention before they made it to the neighbor's horses and grabbed one, which made a second one stop and hang around. I'm pretty sure there was at least one other dog too but don't know where it/they went. I yelled for anyone who was within earshot that I had a lost dog. Nothing. I waited probably a good 10 minutes for a dude to emerge out of the forest to collect the dogs, so no way were these dogs "under control" by any reasonable definition. During the time I was waiting, I snapped photos of the collar of the dog I had hold of and the name and info on it does NOT match the name and info I was told verbally talking to the guy who collected it claiming it was his dog (I didn't mention the photo I had). I made it very clear to the guy that I never want to see those dogs again and where the property bounds are. It's the second time the dogs have been on my land according to my husband who says he's seen at least one of the dogs before in the recent past. Of course the guy says surely must have been someone else's dogs. Although he was very polite the whole time, I rather expect I will be having repeat issues with this now.

I'm looking for advice on what I should be doing to deal with this, both in terms of if I documenting and reporting this and possibly future incidents, and also what else I should do to establish a temporary extra perimeter around the coop should the dogs come in closer in the future. This is my current situation, which I already realize is not grand for this kind of thing:
  • Unfortunately there are only a few old "no trespassing" signs. I bought a bunch of new ones recently but it hasn't been safe to walk the perimeter with a layer of ice under snow since I got them. I will probably have to wait a few more weeks to post new signs.
  • As far as dog deterrents, I have a 50lb Great Pyrenees puppy who is on track to be around 100lbs full grown, but I do not have a fenced region in which to keep her outside with the coop - and she's also not old enough to have full the guarding behavior. She alerts but is still afraid of a lot of things. Once she's full size she would easily eat the dogs I saw today for lunch, but that's going to take a while.
  • I believe my coop and run are protected against dogs like I just saw, but I also don't want a bunch of dogs running up and scaring my chickens half to death even if they can't actually get in. I have no outer fence right now.
I'm wondering about putting electric poultry netting or something similar to run in a small area around the coop at least as a temporary thing, but (1) will something like that even deter dogs and (2) this may sound stupid but can electric netting or tape be set up safely with posts that are in buckets of rock/cement sitting above the ground? The ground is frozen solid, and even after it thaws it will be extremely hard to drive anything into the ground, which is more rock than dirt in most places.
Your guardian dog has a slim chance of winning a fight with a pack of hounds. Maybe you should watch a couple videos of what hounds are capable of doing as a pack to a bear.I wouldn't want to see your dog get hurt if it attacked their dogs.Theres easier solutions than sending your dog out to fight a pack of hounds (especially on 20 uncleared acres_.

My neighbors have a dog too. and it always comes in our property and scares my ducks. :he

Dogs are one of the easiest predators to keep off your property with an electric fence. Amazon sells them all day long for around 100 bucks.Peace of mind is priceless.
$100?? For what 25'? Lots of people love giving the advice of putting up a electric fence, but it's expensive if doing a large property, and one shouldn't have the burden of that expense to keep others and there dogs from trespassing.

Back
Top Bottom