Announcing the new BYC Reputation System: Ovations

Well, I am not sure what is visible to you. As an admin, I have a lot of access "backstage".

I personally don't think it is great idea to know too much to ensure that the spirit is preserved.
Good idea.
thumbsup.gif

Just curious.

Are there any plans to make it where you can see someone else's ovations? Maybe under their avatar?

I think, especially to new members, it would be helpful to see if the person who just gave them advise had 10 ovations or 756. Lord knows post count doesn't tell you if the person is knowledgeable or just chatty like me.

No big deal, was just wondering.

We've discussed potentially allowing this in the future. Our hesitation is that it may make the system too much like a competition and some may be more incentive to try to compete with others... which is kinda against the goal of this great new feature. Fortunately we haven't seen a lot of cases where people are using the ovations system improperly, so if our members continue to show that they are using the system for good (vs. a popularity / "look at me" contest" then we'll be more likely to add the ability for everyone to see eachother's ovations.

Thanks Rob.

I understand how people could use in incorrectly, just never really thought about that I guess. I looked at mine this morning. I'd never really looked to see how many I had or who left them or which posts they thought were helpful.

Actually, it's sorta humbling how many people left ovations. Some I've never even seen post on the sections I post in. A few are people I have talked to, commented on their threads or something.

I think more people should look at that. Maybe it would help "some members" realize how every thing you post is touching other people's lives. Both good and bad.

It really made me want to be more careful of what I post and how I phrase things knowing so many people are reaing it. I think the ovations will turn out to be another great feature here on BYC.

Just curious.

Are there any plans to make it where you can see someone else's ovations? Maybe under their avatar?

I think, especially to new members, it would be helpful to see if the person who just gave them advise had 10 ovations or 756. Lord knows post count doesn't tell you if the person is knowledgeable or just chatty like me.

No big deal, was just wondering.
Mississippifarmboy, you chatty? , LOL
smile.png
Just teasing....Soon as I get my laptop repaired, May I can chat more...Yes, I took it in to 28 major components, now most everything works better, but it won't access the internet. I keep looking for the missing part but I think I frightened it...LOL....

10 ovations are not enough for all the AMAZING MAGNIFICENT & WONDERFUL posters you have here!
i mean, i guess i could have searched what 'ovations' were before using them! and perhaps been a little more conservative, 'used wisely', but i do not regret any given none the less!

really, i just wanted to say thank you BYC for such a fantastic site!!! i have in a short time received a wealth of information! i am already BYC addicted, regardless of my status!

Back
Top Bottom