We need your amazing chicken photos for our 2020 Calendar! Submit your pics HERE!

Another attempt to sell duck-eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by WannaBeHillBilly, Jul 21, 2019.

1. WannaBeHillBilly

WannaBeHillBilly Crossing the Road

Sep 2, 2018
    Big Chimney, WV
    My Coop
    Hi Friends,

i did not thought it would be so hard to sell duck eggs around Charleston, WV! In our first attempt on a farmer's market we barely broke even, just earned the money we'd paid for the table.
    I don't want to become stinky rich with duck-eggs, but it would be great if they'd pay the feed bill…

Then we asked around a lot in grocery stores (Duck eggs? - Eww! Are those really eatable?)
    Bakeries: We could sell 500+ eggs per week but that would require a lot more ducks - too small to be successful. :(
    Asian-restaurants: Balut? - Eeer, no we won't do that! :sick

So today i gave in to my wife and just painted a good ol' sign out of white-wash and red barn paint and set it up at the bottom of our driveway:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Crossing fingers that we sell enough eggs to install traffic lights at our driveway to handle all the customer's vehicles… ;)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  2. HuffleClaw

HuffleClaw Addicted to Birds

Jul 8, 2018
    Alabama (Southern USA)
    Love it! Good luck! :fl

3. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Free Ranging

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
    Hey, I'm doing pretty darn good by posting on Craig's list. I've already got 3 regular customers and they are telling others. It costs $0 to do that so why not give it a try?

4. Steven Bussell

Steven Bussell Songster

May 5, 2019
    Bay Area Calif
    I just started my mix flock. We have 3 ducks that should start laying in 9 weeks.
    I myself have never had a duck egg nor have any of my friends that I have talked to.
    Most want to atlases try them once.
    We have many friends who bake and never hear of using duck eggs either.
    Looking forward to seeing if they are as good as I hear.

5. Duckworth

Duckworth Songster

May 15, 2017
    U.S. Prairie
    Try local co-op type grocers. That’s the only place we ever can buy duck eggs. Also, see whether there are any specialty gluten-free, allergy friendly type bakeries in your area. They may not already use duck eggs, but might be induced to do a trial of some chicken egg free items for customers with chicken egg allergies (like my husband). Many people who cannot eat chicken eggs are able to eat duck eggs without problems, so places that cater to people with allergies or special diets may be interested in giving your eggs a try on a smaller scale.

6. Chef JimmyJ

Chef JimmyJ Songster

Looks Rural. Is it possible a lot of other families raise Ducks? Never understood why folks question eating Duck Eggs. It took just One for me to get hooked! The rich flavor, velvety mouthfeel and you get Twice the Dippy Yolks of Chicken eggs! What's not to love...JJ

7. Texag87

Texag87 Crowing

Sep 22, 2018
    Aggieland
    We have been eating duck eggs for a few months now. Chicken eggs are almost tasteless now. No one we have given eggs to did not like them. Everyone asks for more.I have not baked with them but have used them in cornbread. It fluffs up better , more moist, and is done faster.

8. WannaBeHillBilly

Sep 2, 2018
    Big Chimney, WV
    My Coop
    Good idea! I need to find the password for my Craigslist account and move it from Houston to here…

9. WannaBeHillBilly

Sep 2, 2018
    Big Chimney, WV
    My Coop
    WARNING: You will be hooked after your first duck-egg. The creamy large yolk, the eggier taste. You will never go back to chicken eggs.

10. FluffTheDuck

FluffTheDuck Duck love is recognizable in any language

Nov 26, 2018
    AL
    My Coop
    :lau :gig

My chickens give me enough money with their eggs to pay for both the duck and chicken feed ;)

It just takes time, I've had my egg business for 3 years and its finally known around the neighborhood. Good luck ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: