Great... Now I'm hungry. :gig
Have some scrambled duck eggs with ham!
full

Wild low egg prices! My parents and sister clean me out of eggs when they're available. They give me $5 a dozen. I don't really ask for money, but they think it's more than fair. If I have more to spare, my coworkers are fighting over who gets them.
My ducks (and chickens) are pastured, and eat high quality, local feed. In my neck of the woods, organic pastured eggs are upward of $8 a dozen! Duck eggs at the local Farmer's Market are $9 a dozen.
As far as flavor goes, can't beat a duck egg. They are just the best. Plus, my ducks are way more reliable layers than my chickens. Ducks, for the win!

Balut! - I could sell Balut here to the Asian grocery store, but i won't! I read the story of the »Baluties« from @Texas Kiki … No money in the world will make me do this!
Thanks for bringing that thread up. I'm reading it now, and it's pretty interesting, and pretty funny too. Well @Texas Kiki is funny, not the bault part. :sick

How old is team flappy foot? - My ducks started to lay when they were barely five months old.
Ehh, the Pekin are around 5 months, Anconas are 2 months, and Runners are 5 weeks. When they get to laying though we should have plenty. If all the sexed females are truly ladies, we should have 14 layers.

@WannaBeHillBilly My Mom's family are Coal Crackers living in and around Eynon, a few miles East of Scranton. Maybe you heard of the famous Sugarmann's Department Store? I have spent time in Wilkes-Barre and Yes, that is the Big City, compared to were I live now. We have Electricity, a marginal Old Cable Company that, I'm pretty sure is still using equipment from the 90's. If the wind blows to hard, we lose our Internet connection.
We have Spring Water coming off the mountain and one of them New Fangled E-lectric Pumps to get it in the house. Maw wanted to keep the Hand Pump, but her Rheumatis' wern't lettin' her pump it fast enough.:)...JJ

Last edited:
Ehh, the Pekin are around 5 months, Anconas are 2 months, and Runners are 5 weeks. When they get to laying though we should have plenty. If all the sexed females are truly ladies, we should have 14 layers.
Pekins are more bred for meat, so i assume 4-6 eggs per week, but the eggs will be jumbo-size. Anconas and Runners will pump out egg after egg, so you can eggspect about a dozen a day. - Until one of your ducks goes broody and also during the winter time the production will slow down somewhat. - Which by the way is the reason why chickens are more popular in industrial egg production: One dozen chickens can be squeezed into a box, one side food is filled in, at the other end eggs pop out, manure leaves at the bottom. A duck would rather die that live like that. 120 years ago duck eggs were common, chicken eggs were a delicacy…

$4 a dozen is not expensive. My local store has Chicken eggs from some local family. Labeled Free Range Farm Fresh Eggs... $6. I'll wait another couple of weeks for my girl's to start laying...JJ

My local feed store pays ME $4 a dozen then re-sells them for $6.50. The aversion some people have to duck eggs is totally psychological and makes me laugh. My kids and grandkids are grossed out by the thought of eating duck and especially goose eggs so I lie a lot about what I’m cooking.

@WannaBeHillBilly My Mom's family are Coal Crackers living in and around Eynon, a few miles East of Scranton. Maybe you heard of the famous Sugarmann's Department Store? I have spent time in Wilkes-Barre and Yes, that is the Big City, compared to were I live now. We have Electricity, a marginal Old Cable Company that, I'm pretty sure is still using equipment from the 90's. If the wind blows to hard, we lose our Internet connection.
We have Spring Water coming off the mountain and one of them New Fangled E-lectric Pumps to get it in the house. Maw wanted to keep the Hand Pump, but her Rheumatis' wern't lettin' her pump it fast enough.:)...JJ
I worked in a project for the USPS in Wilkes-Barre and was told the Sugarman story! Where i live we have a similar family operated grocery store "chain" (just three stores, can't be called a "chain"), Smiths.
I would keep the hand pump at all cost, just in case the electricity goes out. We have spring water here too, but it isn't safe to drink, contains too many heavy metals. Not sure if that is due to (coal) mining or just naturally occurring. We too have that electricity here from time to time, when it isn't rainin' and calm winds, newfangled nonsense. ;)

Back
Top Bottom