Another attempt to sell duck-eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by WannaBeHillBilly, Jul 21, 2019.

1. jas humbert

jas humbert Songster

Jul 2, 2015
    Tennessee
    I've not sold duck eggs but I've been in business and self employed most of my life and gradually learned to make a good living at it. It takes time to build up reliable paying clients. Usually longer than you expected before you started. Craigslist or Facebook marketplace is a good place to begin as is the sign in the driveway. Be consistent with any advertising like Craigslist. Talk about it casually wherever you are. Don't push , just let people know you are raising ducks for eggs. Give out samples especially if you have extras that haven't sold but do so sparingly and attach a card with prices so people don't expect free. Post pictures of lovely food like this on your Facebook page and tell them how tasty your new duck eggs are. Some people use Instragram for pictures of ducks, eggs, egg dishes with a little description and pricing. If you keep at it, eventually you will have more customers than you can handle and will have to decide if you need to add more ducks.

2. WannaBeHillBilly

WannaBeHillBilly Crossing the Road

Sep 2, 2018
    Big Chimney, WV
    My Coop
    I tried goose eggs as a kid and was a bit disappointed by their small yolks. Small in comparison to the white of course. I loved the eggs from my uncles bantam chickens: ping-pong ball sized and mostly yolk.
    I all honesty, we should not compare the eggs of our happy and well fed ducks with the eggs of those poor hens suffering in those egg-farms. I remember the chicken eggs from my uncle's backyard chickens were very tasty and what a disappointment were those "eggs" mom bought from one of the first "supermarkets"… They must have fed the hens entirely with fish-meal and the boiled eggs smelled like rotten fish, pale yolks and yellowish albumin. Yuck!

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Once you bake with duck eggs there is no turning back to a chicken egg!

4. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Free Ranging

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
    It balut and its so disgusting especially when you know that it's a little baby duck that people are just gobbling up.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balut_(food)

5. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Free Ranging

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
    I've been getting $5 a dozen for my eggs around here with no problem. The market I used to sell to gave me $4 and then told me in front of a store full of customers I had to shop there or they wouldn't buy my eggs anymore. They charged way too much for everything in that store which is right around the corner from Aldi, Sam's and Walmart so duh! I'm making more money on my own and word gets around pretty fast.

6. Duckworth

Duckworth Songster

May 15, 2017
    U.S. Prairie
    Our co-op, when they actually have duck eggs, charges $5 per HALF dozen—in a mid-sized city surrounded by rural agriculture. We quickly decided to keep our own ducks.

7. quackiemama

quackiemama Free Ranging

Dec 26, 2018
    MARYLAND
    100% agree!

8. WannaBeHillBilly

WannaBeHillBilly Crossing the Road

Sep 2, 2018
    Big Chimney, WV
    My Coop
    Absolutely!

SailorNoMore likes this.
  9. EdgewaterDucks

EdgewaterDucks Chirping

Jan 28, 2019
    Illinois, USA
    I'm actually selling my duck eggs for $6 a dozen! But that's here in the big city with Yuppies with plenty of disposable income eager to try this new locally-sourced cage-free delicacy. To WannaBeHillBilly, I had 2 opportunities that worked for me: 1) A neighborhood yard sale where I set up a table. Just that one day and I had several folks inquiring about getting duck eggs in the future resulting in two regular standing orders. 2) I did a bunch of peddling with local cafes that serve brunch. A lot of rejections, but did end up with one that ended up featuring my duck eggs as a option for their omelettes (at an additional $3.00!). Just be up on your state laws (I had to get licensed by the Illinois Dept. of Agriculture if I wanted to sell the eggs off the property).

PATOS, honanbm and WannaBeHillBilly like this.
  10. FluffTheDuck

FluffTheDuck Duck love is recognizable in any language

Nov 26, 2018
    AL
    My Coop
    Me either!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: