Another Broody-Hen Question...

IzzyMom

Songster
7 Years
May 17, 2012
New Mexico
My BO has gone broody and has been "setting" for 3 days now. The problem is, she's setting on imaginary eggs (there is nothing under her at all - no golf balls, nada). We are a closed flock due to respiratory illness, and aren't hatching/raising any chicks. I've been picking her up in the morning, putting her out in the yard (where there is plenty of shelter from predators), and making her stay out of the coop all day till night-fall.

My questions are: #1 - is this actually helping her break-out of her broody-mood?, and #2 Any estimates on how long her mood will stay maternally inclined?
idunno.gif

Any responses are welcomed - Thank you!!

hi
i've had various unwanted broody spells with my chickens and most have successfully been dissuaded with methods similar to yours. our worst case however had us in despair. we even tried ice cubes to bring her temp down and she was just as happy melting her way through them.

in the end we sent her to chicken prison. a bare cell to contemplate the error of her ways (wire dog crate a little off the ground so the air circulates underneath as well.) i felt cruel but i was afraid she would die. we had tried other methods to no avail.

anyway it worked....i can't remember how long it took but perhaps try a week at first. obviously she needs food and water in her cell but no comfy bed/nest. i did put in a roosting ploe and she did use it after a while.

hope she changes her ways soon.

Back
Top Bottom