Another problem... can roosters crow at the wrong time?

josephdad

Songster
Feb 17, 2021
For the past few weeks, my rooster will crow in the middle of the night instead of at dawn. Is that normal? Or does my rooster just have something against me?

To answer the question, there isn't a "wrong time."

I have a few males that start going at around 2 every morning. They crow normally when they sense a change in the environment, such as a hen getting up and moving, an animal outside wandering around, or unfamiliar noises. I have one that crows in response to a neighbor shooting

For the past few weeks, my rooster will crow in the middle of the night instead of at dawn. Is that normal? Or does my rooster just have something against me?

It's pretty normal.

Roosters usually crow at dawn, and when they hear another rooster crowing, and whenever they feel like it during the day, and if something wakes them up during the night.

Lights or sounds can wake the rooster up at night: car headlights, street lights, light shining out of a house window, sounds of a dog barking or a car driving or a person going out of their house or another rooster crowing, and so forth.

We've received a flood of reports on this thread and have closed it while our team reviews and takes action (removing posts, warning people that are breaking our rules, etc.) where needed.

While this thread is locked, it will give everyone an opportunity to read this:

We need peeps to do 2 things for us to keep it open:
  1. Try to have thick-skins. If you don't like something, try your best to just move past it.
  2. Only post things that are helpful, friendly, and appropriate. If you break our rules, you may get blocked from this thread, or even blocked from accessing BYC.

A Reminder Of Our Rules:

We require all our members to remain civil, friendly, and respectful in ALL their public interactions. If we notice you are breaking this rule (to which you agreed when signing up for BYC), we'll need to issue a warning and even potentially remove your access to our community.

Also, a reminder on best-practices:
  1. Again, if you see something that bothers you, try to have a thick skin and move past it. Definitely don't quote it and/or reply.
  2. If a post breaks our rules, report it. Definitely don't quote it and/or reply.
  3. Be friendly and supportive. Avoid posts, etc., that will cause contention. Our team will determine, at our discretion, what we feel is and isn't appropriate, so it's best to err on the side of caution and stay away from anything that might be interpreted as contentious, trolling, or otherwise breaking our rules.
Our AMAZING team is putting in a LOT of time and effort to keep things running smoothly. Please help make their jobs easier! (because at some point, the amount of work to keep this open won't be worth the time / stress to our incredible moderators).

Thanks again to all those that follow our rules and play nice!

This thread has been cleaned up and all off-topic, trolling, sarcastic, etc. posts have been deleted. If you don't have something constructive to say, please move on. Thanks, casportpony
Very sorry things got out of hand so quickly. I post was meant to be constructive but I know I could have been more careful. Thank you for cleaning up :)

I’m sure you are confused by this because of the popular misconception that roosters only crow at dawn, usually this behavior is displayed in a cartoon or children’s book of some sort. In reality, though, a rooster crows any hour of the day he wishes, and the vocalization is made mainly by a dominant rooster.

I have 3 that crow at 4am in the morning. I didn't understand what was setting them off at that hour until I had to leave the house super early one morning and could hear someone else's roosters crowing from a long distance away. My guess is that someone gets up for work at that hour or returns home which starts their roosters and then my roosters can clearly hear theirs because it is so quiet at that hour and so on. My DH said the same thing about why they're crowing at the wrong time of day. I'm a light sleeper but it doesn't disturb me at all, he's a heavy sleeper but the crowing wakes him up. I guess everyone is different 🤷‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom