Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Picture two Easter egger

Votes: 4 66.7%

• Total voters

Viksceeks

Songster
May 5, 2019
Eastern WA
I have 2 roosters. One is a purebred EE from local breeder. He is so beautiful but I'm not sure he's the sibling to 2 EE hens. The breeder has 2 roo and 6hens so the odds are there
The only con is he does seem to be the 'top' rooster. He does fight but not very aggressively yet. The 2 older hens put the stop to any nonsense quickly
The other is a amerucana/olive egger. He is very pretty too but I like the others coloring more. He is very passive and not interested in the hens. I still think he's a hen but I know he's not...just a very docile rooster
What I need is a nice but protective of the flock roo, potential to sell future chicks, but nice overall. Last roo became dinner when I couldn't handle my hens
20200609_144101.jpg
20200609_145733.jpg

My vote is based on looks but it really should come down to temperament. My prettiest rooster is about to become dinner soon because he’s not very nice, he’s an attack away from “off with his head 👑 ♥️

My sweetest roosters are plain colors like white and the other red/orange.

My vote is based on looks but it really should come down to temperament. My prettiest rooster is about to become dinner soon because he’s not very nice, he’s an attack away from “off with his head 👑 ♥️

My sweetest roosters are plain colors like white and the other red/orange.
That's where i'm at. Both are still nice but the mix is a lot more docile. He has a hen temperament

I would base my choice on personality not looks. Most people would rather buy chicks from a nice father then from an aggressive one.
Edit: Easter eggers are hybrids
Edit 2: if the mix has a hen temperament then why don’t you just keep both ;)
I've thought about it, trust me lol. But I only have 9 hens. I don't want there to be over breeding

I've thought about it, trust me lol. But I only have 9 hens. I don't want there to be over breeding

I think they meant in case they end up being a girl.
If you end up keeping both then just give one 4 hens and another one 5 hens but house them separately.

I have 2 roosters. One is a purebred EE from local breeder. He is so beautiful but I'm not sure he's the sibling to 2 EE hens. The breeder has 2 roo and 6hens so the odds are there
The only con is he does seem to be the 'top' rooster. He does fight but not very aggressively yet. The 2 older hens put the stop to any nonsense quickly
The other is a amerucana/olive egger. He is very pretty too but I like the others coloring more. He is very passive and not interested in the hens. I still think he's a hen but I know he's not...just a very docile rooster
Hi there. :frow

What you have there is two cockerels and neither are sporting their full attitudes yet.

I personally NEVER keep less than two roosters in case something happens like illness or predation. They often get along with each other AND with the right personalities/set up, over mating *can* be avoided even with only 9 ladies! Make adjustments according to the flock antics you see going on.

What is a purebred Easter Egger? That a purebred joke of "breeder", IMO. There's no conforming standard to make anything EE pure bred.

The lavender birds are prettier than the white ones.. and that's the only colors I see in those pics. Lavender will outsell white chicks all day long every day in MY neck of the woods. And white can be hiding many things underneath... making for either a breeding nightmare or maybe just some unexpected feather patterns to grace your pasture.

I'd keep both until one made a deal breaker move... which would naturally be into freezer camp. Honestly EE are my least favorite processed bird in the freezer.. so for that reason if I was going to eat the offspring at any point in the future.. I MIGHT try the OE.

Having the temperament of a hen.. often just means maturing later than the other boys and bastard hormones haven't kicked in yet.

Please make one final note... inbreeding in poultry does NOT cause problems (like in mammals) until several generations down the line of CLOSE inbreeding full brother to full sister. The gene pool of EE is actually so broad compared to limited gene pools of rare breeds.. that you may never face issues with your birds from inbreeding even if they're full brother and sister. Breeding fathers to daughter or sons to mothers is the most accepted practice. Most folks keep more than one hen.. maybe yours are only half siblings currently. When the problems from inbreeding do arise is most notably reduced vigor and or fertility more so than deformities. ALL pure breeds of anything whether it's dog, chicken, etc... have been inbred to set their characteristics. Many in the know call it line breeding. So this may not be a deciding factor in which bird you keep. :)

Like you mention earlier about not being able to handle the ladies with a previous boy... why keep any? Sometimes hen flocks are great just as they are... :oops: I'm just putting it out there! It's great though if you are able and also have the desire to keep a lovely rooster.. once mature (past the awful teenage phase) a good rooster is such a wonderful addition to a flock! :love

Best wishes, no matter which one or if you keep both! :fl

Also, if I am seeing that lavender correctly.. it'll breed as lavender to other lav birds but come out as black when bred to white or other patterns.

Back
Top Bottom