Ant bits on small chicks

BooBear

Chicken Cuddler
9 Years
Oct 7, 2010
Conroe, Texas
I have been treating 2 chicks that were bit pretty bad by fire ants.

The Wyandotte chick received multiple bites on the right side of her face and under her beak. She swelled up real bad and the bites look pretty knarly. The Silkie chick was bit at her right eyelid which swelled up bad.

Both are still thriving despite the bad bites and growing. Been treating with an eye antiboitic made for chickens that I bought from McMurry. Ter...something. I have to relook at the package when I get home. Been treating for about 6 days.

The Wyandotte chick has reduced swelling and is showing improvement. The swelling has caused her beak to scissor just a slight bit. The Silkie's eye is completely shut very little improvement.

Has anyone else habe experience treating these kind of ant bites? Should I stop the antibiotic on day 7 or continue till the bites completely go away?

I am concerned over the Silkie's eye. The chicks are now 3 weeks old.

I have lost chicks already from bad bites, the difference is these 2 are fighters and I am wanting them to pull through.
Ants have been horrible this year due to the draught we are experiencing.

Thanks
I looked up the threads but am concerned about using the Benadryl on such small chicks. The chicks are not showing any breathing issues from the bites. They are itching though.

Update:
Both Popeye & Olive Oil are healing up. The swelling is finally subsiding on Popeye's eye. Olive Oil is looking much better as well.
I stopped the antibiotic on day 7 and am keeping close tabs on their progress.

Blueberry has started laying an egg here n there and is wanting to rejoin the main flock. I am keeping her with her chicks until they are also ready. I am worried about them getting too stressed while healing if their momma takes off. Popeye & Olive Oil will turn 4 weeks old this coming Saturday. Dispite the aweful ant biyes they have been growing and getting their feathers on cue.

Back
Top Bottom