Anti Barking Devices For Rooster Crowing

gohappy

Chirping
May 24, 2018
Has anyone tried to use an anti barking device made for dogs (that hangs on trees or in this case the coop) to help keep their rooster from crowing in the middle of the night and early in the morning?

I looked into it and a dogs bark and a roosters crow are close to the same htz and even the same htz depending on breeds. So the device should pick up and activate when it hears a rooster.

Last edited:
I think you’re going to find mixed reviews on this. They make some anti-crowing straps that go around the roosters neck. Also to do you have a light that is on all night long that might be outside the coop causing him to stay awake all night? I’ve heard a couple people say that that was their problem. That they had a security light on that was facing one of the openings of the coop causing the rooster to stay awake all night.
I’ve heard a couple people say that that was their problem. That they had a security light on that was facing one of the openings of the coop causing the rooster to stay awake all night.
I’ve heard some people put up black out curtains on the outside or inside of the coop to keep the light coming in.
I’ve also heard some reverse psychology. I’ve heard some people put lights, like 45 W lightbulbs, inside the coop and have them on a timer that turns off at 10 PM so the chickens and roosters stay up till about 10 and then go to sleep until about seven and that helps them from crowing so early in the morning. I think the thought behind it is a sleep longer. But like I said you’re probably going to get some mixed reviews on that

I think you’re going to find mixed reviews on this. They make some anti-crowing straps that go around the roosters neck. Also to do you have a light that is on all night long that might be outside the coop causing him to stay awake all night? I’ve heard a couple people say that that was their problem. That they had a security light on that was facing one of the openings of the coop causing the rooster to stay awake all night.
I’ve heard a couple people say that that was their problem. That they had a security light on that was facing one of the openings of the coop causing the rooster to stay awake all night.
I’ve heard some people put up black out curtains on the outside or inside of the coop to keep the light coming in.
I’ve also heard some reverse psychology. I’ve heard some people put lights, like 45 W lightbulbs, inside the coop and have them on a timer that turns off at 10 PM so the chickens and roosters stay up till about 10 and then go to sleep until about seven and that helps them from crowing so early in the morning. I think the thought behind it is a sleep longer. But like I said you’re probably going to get some mixed reviews on that

Ya I know Im going to get mix reviews. I tried the no crow collar and that was a joke, but will try another brand. Tried the lights off for a while, they still crowed, tried a night light, and they still crowed. We do not mind it but our town does (noise ordinance even though a dogs bark is about the same as a rooster crow). We will be moving soon to a big piece of property where their crowing will not be an issue. So we are just need a temporary solution till that happens. We thought we where getting all girls but most turned out to be roosters. We re-homered four but still have two polishes that are wonderful and would love to take to our new property.

Last edited:
Imo, I wouldn't put one of those on a dog. I don't think you could get it to fit properly anyway, the contact points have to touch the skin, and chickens necks are pretty small, not at all like a dog.I think it would be dangerous to leave something like that, so tight around the neck. Try covering the windows or find a new home for the rooster.

Are you familiar with anti-barking devices? Have you used one? Some use electric shock. They have probes that have to contact the dog's skin to work. Will feathers insulate against that? I don't know how small those devices can be for tiny dogs. Are they too heavy for a rooster's neck or are the probes too widely spaced to make contact?

Some use aroma therapy instead of electric shock. What aromas might work on a rooster? Would these be too heavy?

Some work on the bark alone. Others use a combination of the bark plus vibrations to assure that the dog being trained is the one actually barking.

I've used one sized for a 50 pound dog. It works on bark and vibration and uses electric shock. It worked fine, we did not have to get rid of the dog because of its incessant barking. You can always try one on a rooster but I don't think you will have success. Still, there is only one way to find out.

Imo, I wouldn't put one of those on a dog. I don't think you could get it to fit properly anyway, the contact points have to touch the skin, and chickens necks are pretty small, not at all like a dog.I think it would be dangerous to leave something like that, so tight around the neck. Try covering the windows or find a new home for the rooster.

Put what on a dog???????

I'm only asking about using and anti barking device that hangs on a tree to control the crowing of a rooster.

https://www.amazon.com/Barking-Ultr...085050&sr=1-13-spons&keywords=dog+house&psc=1

Sorry I was not clear enough. (I added that info to the first post)

Last edited:
Is it only at night that you’re worried about the crowing? Or is daytime crowing OK? If daytime crowing is OK temporary solution would be to take some old towels and line the coop with three or four layers of towels to buffer the sound. You could run by Goodwill or someplace that sells them really cheap used. But that also depends on how big your coop is. I also realize that that idea is stretching the limits, but I’m trying to think outside the box

New information, now we know what you are talking about. I have no idea if that will work on dogs, let alone chickens. It has a money back guarantee. You can try it and return it if it doesn't work. Or you can get a dog whistle in that frequency and see if the chickens notice when you blow it.

Back
Top Bottom