1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ants

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sweetie pie, Aug 21, 2013.

1. sweetie pie

sweetie pie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    Does anyone have problems with aunts in the feeders and will they sting the chicks or will they just eat them? My feeder is hanging but some were in the feeder. Thanks :)

2. sweetie pie

Mar 10, 2013
    I meant to say ants [​IMG]

3. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Sounds like extra protein to me!

Not sure there is anything you can do besides adding DE to their feed. Is the feeder in the coop? If so you could add DE to the coop bedding too. I've seen ants crawling on the outside of my coop but not a single one inside and I use DE

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  4. sweetie pie

Mar 10, 2013
    Thanks I was planning to get some this weekend

5. SwedishDude99

SwedishDude99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2013
    El Dorado County, Ca
    As long as your coop isn't too close to your house you will be fine. If they are close to your house, believe me, they will come in looking for more food. They have these small traps for sale at any hardware store that are little green pits with a little bowl on top that drips poison that the ants will bring to the queen of the colony and kill her. I used that to get ants out of my coop and they were gone in about 2 weeks. Haven't come back since.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by