Any Advice Appreciated: Runny watery poo, (started off as suspected Candida), then huge water swelling (ascites)??

Andulairah

In the Brooder
Dec 2, 2021
Hi Chicken family

IMG_2739.jpeg
My girl Shallaha has had it rough over the last month. It started off with suspected candida, which I have treated in her before. She went downhill for almost a week and wasn't sure if she would make it. I fed her water and raw egg yolk mix, via syringe, as she wasn't eating/drinking at the time, which worked a treat to fix it. No food whatsoever. She became very swollen in the abdomen and was hot, shaking constantly, and barely moved for days.

This went on for about 5 days. I was really not sure if it was candida, but her crop was always sticky in the morning, like wet cement and bloated for days. In the past, I have induced vomiting, but its stresses her too much. I wanted to let this pass naturally this time. After I knew she would survive it, she still retained a lot of water in her abdomen and was standing like a penguin, waddled everywhere for several days thereafter. I knew she was slowly coming back around, her comb started to get beautiful and tall again, and her tail perked up.

Now she has lost the water retention, but she has had this runny poo for the last 2 weeks or so. As soon as I let them out in the morning, she runs to the water bowl and drinks and drinks and drinks. She's obviously dehydrated but this is the routine. Does anyone have any advice? She is definitely decreasing in body weight, and she's always been my biggest chook.

She is approx 4 years old, and the sweetest most caring girl! She has not laid an egg in well over 2 months. Her sister died of salpingitis in December, and her big sister died of an impacted gizzard, just before new years. After this, she had a bout of candida in January, and her eggs have been soft without yolk. Now she is not laying at all (and hasn't in a long time). Her sister Venus, is the only one left out of my brood, and is in perfect health. Has never had candida, never had any illnesses, and lays regularly (drinks and eats the same food). Shallaha has always had lice as well, even as a baby. She's had the worst lice out of all the chickens, and I have done my best to treat it. Venus however, has never ever had lice, despite sleeping in the same bed since they were little.

1. First pic of Shallaha on the blue towel is when the illness was setting in. Very sick here, lots of shaking, and most likely temperature was raised.

2.pic of her wrapped in the purple towel she was extremely ill. Really didnt think she would pull through. Purple comb, and feeding her a mix of egg yolk/water every few hours via syringe.

3. pic of her on my leg, she is now happy enough, almost back to her normal self, comb still not entirely upright, but is eating and drinking, purring and talk regularly. At this point has had diarrhoea for about 2 weeks. Drinking a lot, and loves watery food like watermelon and lettuce.

4. pic of her poo, Ive studied it, and cannot and have not seen any blood (hence why I am unsure that it is coccidia
Would great appreciate any advice. My local vet is inexperienced dealing with chickens (its not common to have chickens as a pet in my area) so I have not taken her.
Thank you very much!!

Attachments

• IMG_2781.jpeg
    IMG_2781.jpeg
    712.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3068.jpeg
    IMG_3068.jpeg
    456.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3078.jpeg
    IMG_3078.jpeg
    651.6 KB · Views: 1
Update: Well Ive started Shallaha on 20mg of Amoxicillin per day. She's not happy about it, but unfortunately something has to be done. She going to be getting 10mg x2 per day. She's also not happy that Ive removed her watermelon. She has been scary eating watermelon (more like devouring it) for the past day or so, until her crop is at bursting point. Plus a tonne of water. When arising this morning, Ive felt that wet cement chunk inside of her crop again, so its back on the raw egg yolk (via syringe), which she is also not happy about. Still, the raw egg yolk is hopefully replacing her electrolyte loss, plus giving her some essential fatty acids, salt, trace minerals etc, and it must be working, because it has decreased her constant running to the water bowl.
Since starting her on 10mg of antibiotics last night, I am noticing not so much diarrhoea, its too early to confirm this, but I will monitor her poo throughout the day, especially tomorrow morning. So I suspect she not only has candida again, but also necrotic enteritis. Either one was caused by the other, or perhaps there is an underlying issue. I hope this information can help other chicken parents going through similar issues.

Back
Top Bottom