Any advice for a biting duck?

SharkNewt

Chirping
Jul 21, 2021
My new-ish duck (it's been a few weeks), has a problem biting my face. I raised my first duck from a tiny little thing, and now she absolutely LOVES to hug and cuddle. I try to do the same with him, but, even as I'm typing this, he bites my eyes. I'm currently laying in the position I'm in, in the picture where I'm hugging my first duck, leaving him to his preening, and he just walks over and bites my eye. Idk if he's scared, or if he's just a butt. Any advice on how to get him to stop? I do have piercings in, but even when I have them out, he still bites my eye lids and lips. Any bruising on my eyes is from him.

Attachments

• IMG_20210821_010420104.jpg
    IMG_20210821_010420104.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20210821_011927577.jpg
    IMG_20210821_011927577.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 26
Affection? 😂 He shakes a lot, when I'm near him, and tries to turn away from me, so I figured he might be scared. Also, my only other experience with a duck, cuddles. I'm fine if it's just the one duck that wants to cuddle, but I just wanted to show both of my children the same amount of affection
If your 2nd duck doesn't want to cuddle I recommend not forcing physical affection. My ducks don't want physical affection, but they enjoy being near me very much. If I were to force them to be touched it would damage our relationship.

I understand that you want things to be fair and give both your ducks the same treatment. But that only works if both of your ducks want the same treatment. Maybe your 2nd duck would prefer fresh water. Or some tomatoes. Or you to sit quietly nearby. Or perhaps a few mealworms. There are lots of ways you can show your love and affection to your 2nd duck. One of those ways is respecting the boundaries your duck is clearly trying to assert by biting you.

If your 2nd duck doesn't want to cuddle I recommend not forcing physical affection. My ducks don't want physical affection, but they enjoy being near me very much. If I were to force them to be touched it would damage our relationship.

I understand that you want things to be fair and give both your ducks the same treatment. But that only works if both of your ducks want the same treatment. Maybe your 2nd duck would prefer fresh water. Or some tomatoes. Or you to sit quietly nearby. Or perhaps a few mealworms. There are lots of ways you can show your love and affection to your 2nd duck. One of those ways is respecting the boundaries your duck is clearly trying to assert by biting you.
Yeah. When it comes to animals, I can get a little carried away with showing my love. My first one hops into my lap when I sit near them and loves to play with my hair and cuddle, so I can get my fix of loving her ❤️ my second one can absolutely tear into some collard greens like the plant is going extinct 🤣

It's probably affection. Regardless, ducks weren't made to cuddle. It's not their nature, unless they are ducklings with no mother. The government is now issuing warnings against letting children cuddle chickens and ducks, since many are getting salmonella from doing so. Maybe get a cat or dog if you want a pet that cuddles.

It's probably affection. Regardless, ducks weren't made to cuddle. It's not their nature, unless they are ducklings with no mother. The government is now issuing warnings against letting children cuddle chickens and ducks, since many are getting salmonella from doing so. Maybe get a cat or dog if you want a pet that cuddles.
Affection? 😂 He shakes a lot, when I'm near him, and tries to turn away from me, so I figured he might be scared. Also, my only other experience with a duck, cuddles. I'm fine if it's just the one duck that wants to cuddle, but I just wanted to show both of my children the same amount of affection

My new-ish duck (it's been a few weeks), has a problem biting my face. I raised my first duck from a tiny little thing, and now she absolutely LOVES to hug and cuddle. I try to do the same with him, but, even as I'm typing this, he bites my eyes. I'm currently laying in the position I'm in, in the picture where I'm hugging my first duck, leaving him to his preening, and he just walks over and bites my eye. Idk if he's scared, or if he's just a butt. Any advice on how to get him to stop? I do have piercings in, but even when I have them out, he still bites my eye lids and lips. Any bruising on my eyes is from him.
My ducks can be won over with a foot massage 😉

Back
Top Bottom