Any advice on finding one of my hens nests out in the woods?

So I had two Narragansett hens at the start of this spring. I thought they had both been laying in the same nesting box as they did last year and the year before. However, I was wrong. I began noticing about a week or so ago that one hen would disappear from around the time I let them out in the morning to an hour before I would put them up. This evening I found where she had been going. It’s about 400 yards away from the house or coop. I carefully moved some of the leaves to count and found 10 eggs. I kinda planned on candling them tonight once it began to get darker. I’m just unsure of whether I should leave them here, move them to a nesting stall with her, or move them to an incubator.

Attachments

• BCF46E6A-8D08-40A9-9BEE-B183290B57E8.jpeg
    BCF46E6A-8D08-40A9-9BEE-B183290B57E8.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 11
  • 0DC399AA-1354-41FE-8550-B629DC079D71.jpeg
    0DC399AA-1354-41FE-8550-B629DC079D71.jpeg
    817.6 KB · Views: 3
So I had two Narragansett hens at the start of this spring. I thought they had both been laying in the same nesting box as they did last year and the year before. However, I was wrong. I began noticing about a week or so ago that one hen would disappear from around the time I let them out in the morning to an hour before I would put them up. This evening I found where she had been going. It’s about 400 yards away from the house or coop. I carefully moved some of the leaves to count and found 10 eggs. I kinda planned on candling them tonight once it began to get darker. I’m just unsure of whether I should leave them here, move them to a nesting stall with her, or move them to an incubator.
If she's coming in at night, she isn't broody yet. If you want to move them now, she will most likely abandon the nest.

If it was me, I would put the eggs in an incubator. and lock her in until she starts a nest inside.

I suspect that candling will show you eggs that have not begun developing.

Back
Top Bottom