any advice on lockdown?

@WVduckchick thank you so much! I thought I saw a wiggle from the egg this morning!

These are cayugas, right? And you are now on day 28? How's your humidity and temperature running? You should really be getting pips any time now!
fl.gif

@WVduckchick well i thought it was until i read you don't count the first 24 hours! yeah, they are cayuga's! i can't tell if i saw a wobble or if i was just staring at them for too long!
idunno.gif

"Or if I was staring at them for too long." That was me when I had eggs! Haha! Go bake some cookies or clean. Time will go by much faster. ;) @kaciebig

@bydhatch that's exactly what i did all day yesterday! made scones and cleaned! just went on a run and now watching a show, then i'll go check on them! haha

Hey, running that's a great idea! Why didn't I think of that while hatching?! I haven't ran in too long!
@bydhatch
 that's exactly what i did all day yesterday! made scones and cleaned! just went on a run and now watching a show, then i'll go check on them! haha 

@WVduckchick
 well i thought it was until i read you don't count the first 24 hours! yeah, they are cayuga's! i can't tell if i saw a wobble or if i was just staring at them for too long! :idunno

Excellent. So you aren't overdue yet.
I watch tv, and go check the bator every commercial, or every other commercial :gig

@abidaby @bydhatch @WVduckchick so i just checked and i noticed slight wobbling from one of my babies!!!! just wondering, if two hatch and they imprint on me, will they be fine together for a few hours while i'm in school? how does it work? i want them to be house ducks!
pop.gif

@WVduckchick so i can tell the egg moved a little bit but i haven't seen any pips! should i worry yet? i feel like something more should have happened in the last few hours...
hmm.png

Well, I would have expected pips by now. What kind of incubator? A couple things you might try....be sure to shine your light all around the egg from as many angles as possible. Sometimes pips are so faint, they are hard to see from one direction, but obvious from another direction.

Also, if you can, try to shine the light into the fat end, while looking from the side of the egg. I have figured out how to position eggs so I can see inside them thru the glass/window/plastic. You might be able to do that. What you are looking for is the air cell to be rounded out toward the bottom, and much further toward the pointed end of the egg. I'll post a pic after this post. Its called draw down. They do that shortly before they internally pip.

Also talk to them, tap lightly on the bator, even sing to them. Play chirping videos from YouTube right over the incubator. They will react!

As far as two hatching, yes they will be fine while you are at work. There are a few precautions. No water inside the Bator that they could drown in. Hopefully your bottom is not bare wire, in case of an open navel, those can be rough on them. But chances are they should be fine!

Back
Top Bottom