any archery lovers here? (hunting, target and crossbow welcome)

Our rifle season ends tomorrow, but i can go back to my compound bow till the end of the year. :clap

My husband and son both got nice 8-points last weekend with rifles. Hubby is more interested in pistol hunting now.

Our rifle season ends tomorrow, but i can go back to my compound bow till the end of the year. :clap

My husband and son both got nice 8-points last weekend with rifles. Hubby is more interested in pistol hunting now.
sounds awesome, enjoy that deer :)

we can't handgun hunt here in Canada (where only allowed to shoot them at the range)

I love archery im a hunter I shoot recurve and compound i got a triple whitetail deer kill all in five mins this year.

what are your guys thoughts between recurve, longbow and compound.

am thinking of getting a new bow (only one i have is a recurve in 25 lbs) thinking of maybe doing so hunting more for fun right now.

Recurve and longbow if you want more of a challenge and compound if you don't practice enough or just want meat.

I have shot since I was eight and did lots of it. Made plenty of selfbows and primitive arrows and the like. Hence the Avatar name as it all I thought of in the nineties when i got the internet.

Here is my little 47" tip to tip self bow deflexed recurve an only has about 5# of weight on brace. I switched to a crossbow for meat making at the place i hunt and thinking of trying this again for a while for the challenge.
img_1073.jpg

A fetched arrow here all made from Southern Arrowwood shafts I had gathered years back
img_1071.jpg

The entire story is here if you want to read about it.

Recurve and longbow if you want more of a challenge and compound if you don't practice enough or just want meat.

I have shot since I was eight and did lots of it. Made plenty of selfbows and primitive arrows and the like. Hence the Avatar name as it all I thought of in the nineties when i got the internet.

Here is my little 47" tip to tip self bow deflexed recurve an only has about 5# of weight on brace. I switched to a crossbow for meat making at the place i hunt and thinking of trying this again for a while for the challenge.
img_1073.jpg

A fetched arrow here all made from Southern Arrowwood shafts I had gathered years back
img_1071.jpg

The entire story is here if you want to read about it.
nice looking bow and fetched arrow :)

thanks for the answer, i think i will go with either a long or recurve bow, as i like the traditional style of hunting, i just bought a flintlock rifle. i just enjoy the simplest of weapons and hunting with them,

Just remember practice practice practice. My daughter gets mad at me when shooting her compound and I can pick up my selfbow and shoot a target instinctive at 20 yards and haven't shot in months. It is all eye hand coordination. Once built it stays around and 30 years of it lasts a long time. I used to practice shooting as a kid with sandwich bags with a shirt in them at 40 yards and could kill rabbits at 30 yards easily.

But when starting it takes a lot to time to connect all this nerve impulses to shoot very good and consistent. Practice every day, twice a day, just ten shots if its all you have time for.

I used to shoot with my dad and we loved it. He was always so proud that I shot, and he like to tell people. :p
He passed away 2 years ago and I didn’t have the motivation to shoot any more. Then my hands decided they didn’t want to work anymore. I had two surgeries this summer. First in the right side, and the cast from the left side surgery comes off tomorrow.
I’ve been thinking that once I’m all healed up and get the strength back in my hands/wrists that I’ll try shooting again. :)

I love bow hunting!!! I was just looking to start a thread like this. It is bow season here in Maryland now. Started back in September. Yep we have a long season. I currently own a Bow-tech carbon Knight and a Barnett lady Raptor crossbow. I don't shoot the compound much any more do to arthritis.

My goal is to shoot a wall hanger, which is very difficult around here. Not many wall hangers in my area, but we always get pictures of one or two each year.

I love bow hunting!!! I was just looking to start a thread like this. It is bow season here in Maryland now. Started back in September. Yep we have a long season. I currently own a Bow-tech carbon Knight and a Barnett lady Raptor crossbow. I don't shoot the compound much any more do to arthritis.

My goal is to shoot a wall hanger, which is very difficult around here. Not many wall hangers in my area, but we always get pictures of one or two each year.

nice, i don't bow hunt yet. but our season here for archery is pretty much done now. now its muzzle loader then rifle in November. still deciding if i want to use my Kentucky flint lock.

i hope you get your wall hanger this year :)

Back
Top Bottom