Any Delaware Hen owners? Quick question please?????

Mattl12

Chirping
Apr 30, 2022
How are your Delaware hens egg production? When I start looking I get numbers as low as 150 to as high as 280+ eggs per year?

Is the 6 months to lay figure accurate?

I have a Delaware, Betty White, but she hasn't laid yet. She was hatched 4/4/2022. I'm hoping to answer this question soon.

Attachments

• EFBB629F-4951-43E4-A184-BEB1841F7FEF.jpeg
    EFBB629F-4951-43E4-A184-BEB1841F7FEF.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
This is fron TSS which means the Delawares came from McMurray. Apparently which breeder is A relevant question.

I have a Delaware, Betty White, but she hasn't laid yet. She was hatched 4/4/2022. I'm hoping to answer this question soon.
I have 2 Leghorns and A Bresse I got 3/1/22 and neither of them have laid yet .......... They were both deliberately bred for fast maturity.

Is this late for them to start? I'm new to chickens. Mine are basically pets and I'm sure I'll be surprised when one lays an egg.
Can't speak to Delawares but Leghorns and Bresse should be year round layers, the white leghorn should outpace the Bresse by 50+ eggs per year both should be laying at 18 weeks. My Bresse is "squatting" but not yet laying .................. the WL's are too schizo and flighty to get A read on whether they are squatting or not.

I bought day old females from Meyer Hatchery, 1 Black Astralorp, 1 Buff Orpington, 1 Light Brahma and 1 Buff Brahma on 4/4/2022. I bought day old females 1 Barred Rock, 1 Delaware and 1 Black Jersey Giant on 4/11/2022 also from Meyer. The Black Jersey Giant recently turned out to be a Rooster. No eggs from any of the others yet.
But they all love me....

I bought day old females from Meyer Hatchery, 1 Black Astralorp, 1 Buff Orpington, 1 Light Brahma and 1 Buff Brahma on 4/4/2022. I bought day old females 1 Barred Rock, 1 Delaware and 1 Black Jersey Giant on 4/11/2022 also from Meyer. The Black Jersey Giant recently turned out to be a Rooster. No eggs from any of the others yet.
But they all love me....
LOW egg production and higher feed costs would stop me from getting Brahmas, Buffs, or the JG. Rooster collars work by the way. Cuts their ability to project over distance down significantly. You'll understand that very soon if you don't already.

Back
Top Bottom