Any fermentation fans (fanatics?) here?

LOL!! That's definitely a problem with GF bread. I know you can use other flours like tapioca, bean, or coconut...maybe one of those (or a combination thereof) would have better loft?

I actually needed a glass jug, so went to a "natural foods" store and bought a gallon of organic apple juice in the glass jug. It was super simple: put into a primary fermenter (2.5 gal food grade bucket), add the nutrient/acid/tannin/sugar, pitch the yeast, and let it do its thing. You siphon it into the glass jug for the secondary ferment and siphon it again into clean jugs to get rid of the sediment. Soon...tasty hard cider!

Glad to hear the ginger beer came out well. It sounds really good - ginger and fall go hand in hand, IMO. Have the colder temps slowed the activity down at all, or do you compensate for it? I think I mentioned using a seedling mat in an earlier post, but for really cold temps, I'm going to try a heating pad on the lowest setting.

I just put em inside. We have heat on now, so its toasty 72 inside. Not as good as an 85 degree attic, but it'll have to do
What he needed was to add gluten, coz rice is pure starch
Once, we got apple cider at the store, and we opened it and it was naturally fermented....awesome stuff that was

So I was inspired
big_smile.png

I threw yeast in some normal store apple cider and got this

Its really foamy and the bubbles...! Really tingly.
But I'm having a hard time convincing people to drink it...even though it tastes EXACTLY like some stuff( filtered apple juice that's artificially carbonated...ha!) we get at the store for thanksgiving and everyone GUZZLES down... Oh well, my mom likes it

Missed the bubbles going over the top...but you get the idea

Well, some people are just leery of ferments, I guess. :lau

Did you use champagne yeast? I used Montrachet (wine) yeast in one of mine and the yeast flavor was pretty pronounced. I siphoned to a clean jug and am letting it age for another month.

That ferment looks very active - don't bottle until the fermentation stops or it might explode...:eek:

he.gif
ITS NOT FAIR!!! I made it!! Not some nameless factory!! I wouldnt hurt you! And its NATURAL!!

I used Brewers yeast. The flavor wasnt strong at all I didnt age either, used right away. I just used my plastic ginger beer bottles coz the original bottle had a horrible lid(clip on, not screw. I collect nice bottles, lol)
I made two bottles, the first one we used right away(I had like 4 glasses....Originally Posted by Bills vs Beaks
...I'm having a hard time convincing people to drink it...) but the other was in my room for half day more.
All of a sudden...yeah you guessed it. It wasnt bad, just some bubbles got on the floor. So I put it in the fridge to slow it down. Worked fine, now that ones gone too
big_smile.png
( Ive used that : D face four times today...whats up?)

he.gif
ITS NOT FAIR!!! I made it!! Not some nameless factory!! I wouldnt hurt you! And its NATURAL!!

I used Brewers yeast. The flavor wasnt strong at all I didnt age either, used right away. I just used my plastic ginger beer bottles coz the original bottle had a horrible lid(clip on, not screw. I collect nice bottles, lol)
I made two bottles, the first one we used right away(I had like 4 glasses....Originally Posted by Bills vs Beaks
...I'm having a hard time convincing people to drink it...) but the other was in my room for half day more.
All of a sudden...yeah you guessed it. It wasnt bad, just some bubbles got on the floor. So I put it in the fridge to slow it down. Worked fine, now that ones gone too
big_smile.png
( Ive used that : D face four times today...whats up?)
I tried sourdough once before... My friend gave me some starter, and then I used it all up in my excitement. I forgot to save some for next batch!!
hide.gif

Get a bottle with a tight screw on lid. Put the cider in 3/4 up. Add about 2 tablespoons of brewers yeast and make the lid real tight. It should be ready overnight

Back
Top Bottom