any fisher or eastern coyote experts here?

animals1981

Songster
11 Years
Jul 19, 2008
Toronto
My Coop
My Coop
Trying to find out what attacked my barn cat? Please dont bring up coons or foxes because all foxes have been killed here by coyotes. The last one i saw had its head ripped off. It lived near a feral cat colony. They did a lot of construction here. That made a lot of coyotes and fishers come into around houses and they ate all the cats chased away killed all the small predators like foxes.

The cat is missing all its hair under its neck? it tried to grab its throat and then grabbed its leg?? The thing that saved it was thee dog. But i didnt get to see it. But the animal didnt have a get hold of the cats neck. It wasnt confidant in this area. I have seen coyotes almost get attacked and have their tails grabbed by my dog before. But they are the most common predator. BUT we also have fishers??

Any idea what would go for its throat or try to quickly pull it away by its leg before the dog got there and mauled it? when i got there the dog was fine and the cat was just curled up in a ball cant walk properly. Its on anti biotics and pain killers. Its not going back outside.

I cann try to add picture of the throat I see no puncture, I think it made a quick grab just got the hair and did not get a chance to do a re grab at the head cause the dog got on top of it and mauled it. I heard hyena like screaming sounds when the dog got there.

Last night it came back for the cat because i saw my dog run outside into the dark like a bullet faoming at the mouth like it wanted to latch onto something.

Last edited:
Sounds like a fisher we have them here to and they ain't no joke, up here they will take a deer down so I would think a cat wouldn't a problem. I have heard them make that noise also sometimes they sound like a woman or a baby screaming.

when my dog got there sounded like a hyena or something, I know there was some kind of predator out there last night cause my dog acts like that floats around the yard hulking trying to get over the fence if another predator is around.

I also found a eaten jack russel once in the woods.

Last edited:
just curious would a tom cat do this? go right for her throat and tear it all out? then attack her leg? I never thought it would. It would have been able to kill her easy. Would be one beast of a cat.

seems more like a fisher they are only 12 pounds so if it was a 45 pound eastern coyote I would at least expect a bit more damage even if the coyote was scared of being mauled by the dog? I dont know. The vet wants me to see if I can figure it out. I just know those 2 predators are the most common now.

Last edited:
I think it is a fisher but you could get a game camera and see what it captures they take great night pictures just set it up in a good spot you think it would probably get a picture.

i dont think anything will show up the cat is indoors and the dog goes out, they are scared crapless of the dog

It came by last night probably to see if it could finish off the job but it almost got caught, I do have cameras tho

It could be a bobcat they will take a cat and kill it because it is clamming territory especial if the cat is not fixed and marking territory. i have never been able to keep an in tack cat here, NEVER they disappear every time but my fixed cats are still here, i know it is a bobcat that takes them most of the time, i have a distant neighbor that has perpetual cats and they have seen bob cats running off with their cats.

Sounds like a fisher we have them here to and they ain't no joke, up here they will take a deer down so I would think a cat wouldn't a problem. I have heard them make that noise also sometimes they sound like a woman or a baby screaming.
A male Fisher weighs only 8-13 lbs, and a female is even smaller (average 5 lbs). The deer and moose they eat are carrion (and not the result of a Fisher taking down a grown deer). A Fisher eats porcupines, raccoons, mice, hares mostly (their preferred diet) but have been known on a rare occasion to kill a bobcat or lynx. They will kill domestic cats and small dogs. Fishers do have a scream and a hissing sound too.

yeas a female adult deer would stomp a fishers head in if it came near her fawn. But they eat the sick dying ones. Fishers also attack foxes and kill their kits. There was a limping fox here not long ago. Then if ound it with its head eaten off. There has not been a bobcat seen here in more than 50 years. This was a spayed female calico.

Lynx and bobcat like more hilly mountainus area at least, no one has ever seen one here. Its just those 2 predators. OR a big tom cat it could be?? But my cat has a nasty limp. How could a tom cat do all that to her?

Half an hour from here I saw a dead puma/cougar I asked the mnr to pick it up. Who knows if it was someones pet hit by a car though. But i know this was no cougar lol If there was a cougar comming close to houses here everyoen would know and my dog would not be able to stop that.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom